We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pythagorio or Kokkari??

Which Samos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pythagorio or Kokkari??

I'm looking to book Samos for next year, but before i do could anyone kindly help me with a few questions?

I have seen Samos described on the Greeka website as having potentially Busy resorts, crowded beaches, intensive nightlife. Is this right? If so that's not what i'm looking for!

Also could anyone help me choose between Kokkari and Pythagorio? Im concerned about Kokkari being too windy and also the harbour doesn't look as nice as Pythagorios but i'm worried that Pythagorio is too large a resort and too near the airport? We have been to Kassiopi in Corfu for the last 2 years and are looking for something more greek and authentic but about the same size.

We will hire a hire for about 5 days and travel round if that makes any difference thanks!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

Not sure when you intend visiting but Pythagorian was lovely in early June. Being near the airport is not a problem, unless your accommodation is really close and, even then, we have had friends stay very close who say it never bothered them. Most of the hotels/apts are just on the outskirts so you walk/taxi into town, there are some places actually in the town.

It is a lovely harbour - the people on yachts can literally step off straight into a cafe! In the evenings it is closed off to traffic so easy to walk around. We found many nationalities in the mix which we enjoyed. It was windy even in June some afternoons for a couple of hours but the locals said it was unseasonably hot also. We had to travel to go to a good beach but only 15-20 minutes. Roads good and car hire reasonable. Nightlife was centred around tavernas and bars. Would def return.

WE visited Kokkari but someone else can better give you details of what it is like to stay there.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

Thanks Chrissie

We'll be going last week of June first week of July i think.

Do they play greek music in the tavernas?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

Shouldnt be too bad at that time as far as crowds go - racking my brains re the tavernas and music - we tended to eat on the harbour most nights and it was 2006 and the Euro 2006 football was on so lots of the bars showed the matches in the evening (thats how we spotted so many Europeans - by their shirts !) and I cannot remember whether there was live music-sorry. The food was very good though and the local wine.

Durham
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

hi, we went to Samos last year and would say that it's not very touristy. in fact it's a little gem.

out of the two resorts Pythagoria is my favourite, due to location. it's a lovely relaxed marina with fantastic waterfront restaurants. It's also easier/cheaper to get to samos town from Pythagoria. We found Kokkari not as pretty and much smaller but then Pythagoria isn't that big either.

we also stayed in samos town and would highly recommend this. But it is bigger, being the capital. However, great relaxed atmosphere and restaurants.

Hope this helps.

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

Hello-We spent 5 days in Pythagorio this May (10-15) and it was a lovely small town to be in-prices are very good (studio in town was 35 E per night). Shops are on a side street up from the harbour and opened late. The harbourfront was as previous message said-lots of places to eat,variety of boats-tour, yachts, and fishing boats. A pleasant, neat & clean town, good walks in the hills behind the town-one to a lovely monastery.Also lots of back streets to walk in the town-whitewashed lanes and houses. A nice new airport just 1.5 km from town and no problem with airplane noise- moreso with scooter noise (our first trip to Greece!)Pythagoria is a pretty town with a crescent-shaped harbour.Lovely views of faraway hills.Shops included 2 bakeries,2groceries, clothing (small)& jewellry.The bus to Samos town was 1.50 E for the 14 km trip-vg road with nice scenery. We chose Pythagoria because we were flying in and out and it was convenient. Hope you have a good time. I would definitely return to Pythagoria for a holiday.

6. Re: Pythagorio or Kokkari??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Samos
Recent Conversations