We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samos to Turkey

South
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Samos to Turkey

We are going to be in Samos and would like to travel to Turkey for one day, maybe going to Ephesus.Is ferry the best way to go and how often does it go?Are there any tours originating in Samos that would take us for one day?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samos to Turkey

Hi,

Ferry is the only way. It goes across to Kusadasi & takes about an hour & half if I remeber correctly. You will see excursions to Ephesus advertised everywhere.

Example:http://www.greeka.com/eastern_aegean/samos/island/samos-tours/sa01-turkey-boat-tour-to-kusadasi-and-ephesus/index.htm

South
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samos to Turkey

Thanks,we will be leaving our sailboat excursion ,early morning, then staying two nights in Samos.I guess we can get a ferry in the am and return in the evening?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samos to Turkey

Yes, during the season these are usually daily trips.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samos to Turkey

There is a day return ferry from Vathy <> Kusadasi daily in the hi-season. Any travel agent on the seafront will have precise details of just the ferry, or excursions that include visits to Ephesus.

If you are going a bit off season it won't be daily, so you might be unlucky in that case.

South
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samos to Turkey

It is July, so hopefully the ferry goes daily.Should we book in advance?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samos to Turkey

No need to book until the day before ... you do it at the travel agency that is directly opposite the Samos Town (Vathy) Dock. It is called ISTA and VERY knowledgeable. YOu will be asked to leave your passports with a Turkish official Office at the Dock. This is handled for the whole group; do not panic. It assures that people will not take an excursion then "disappear" into Turkey.

The excursion boat take about 45 minutes, then you're put on a bus at the port, with a guide (of uneven quality). Typically you are allowed about 2 hours on the site. Then you are dragged off to a rug shop where they give you mint tea and subject you to hard sell... then u are taken to a "mall" full of trinkets. When we went, I objected, but one of our party was diabetic & v. tired so wanted to leave, so I put up with it.

What I would advise u to do: When u sign up, inquire about being able to stay on the ancient site rather than have this forced commercial add-on, and then be picked up by the bus AFTER the Rug/Mall period. This will give u time to see more of the site, such as the wonderful amphitheatre. ALSO: take water, a picnic lunch (Fun!) and wear hats to protect you from the sun.

There are books for sale in kiosks outside the gate, but no time to absorb the info before touring. If you want to read info beforehand, go to this wonderful site, print out, and use for reading matter during your sailing voyage:

sacred-destinations.com/turkey/ephesus.htm

sacred-destinations.com/turkey/ephesus-site-…

BTW, if you want a cute,friendly family hotel in Vathy to stay in between your sail & Ephesus, Hotel Pythagoras is just uphill to the left of the dock about 200 yards, w. balconies righton the water VERY economical, they will pick up if notified ahead of time say hello to Stelios from Janet!

www.hostelz.com/hotel/1148-Pythagoras-Hotel

ALSO - right next door is a restaurant that has patio tables right on the water situated for THE most beautiful sunsets; luscious traditional food for about 12€ main courses(!).

South
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samos to Turkey

Awesome info , thanks.

manchester
Level Contributor
210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samos to Turkey

Went to Ephesus last year in July from Samos town.

Ferries frequent,had to pay Turkish enttry harbour fee aprox £5.

Ephesus incredible but can be crowded.If you can tag onto a tour (makes it so much more interesting)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samos to Turkey

My information was for a "day tour package" which included the boat, port fee, bus, guide (and of course rug shop!) Maureen & John apparently just went on their own. That way u have to arrange to get to/from the site yourself, either via taxi or public bus. But with printouts from the links I supplied, you could very well do-it-yourself (or Tag onto a tour)... you might want to compare costs of each alternative. I would be interested in learning the difference, for future reference.

South
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samos to Turkey

Thanks. I am a bit concerned about the ferry schedule.What I have found indicates just one trip a day over to Turkey at around 9:00 am.Are there others? We do not leave our sailboat until about then, I think.

Get answers to your questions about Samos