We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rate of exchange

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
rate of exchange

i hear that lately in greece its getting harder to change TQs.therefore would it be better to change cash over there or before we travel.we go to kokkari in just over 5 weeks.

thanks for any replies.

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rate of exchange

when i said TQs i meant TCs.............sorry

witney oxon
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rate of exchange

Hello mt-ber. we are just back from Samos, it has always been our practice to take enough Euros to pay for accomadation, car hire,& spending money in notes at the best rate we can get before leaving & sharing them between us. This seems safe enough to us, as our journey is car to Gatwick plane to Samos & car to destination making payments along the way which leaves us with spending cash which can be topped up if neccesary with a debit card at an A T M & we have never used T Cs,as I resent the charges incurred.

You will have a great in Samos it is lovely and friendly people

Ex racer

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: rate of exchange

thanks for the reply exracer.its getting closer and looking forward to it, it will be our first time to samos.but i was wondering if you'd get a better rate of exchange pounds to euros over here or over there.or make use of the debit card instead.i understand that the greeks prefer cash so might it be better to make withdrawals from an atm, taking into account the best rate for all options...........thanks

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rate of exchange

I found it a very lengthy process to change travellers cheques for the first time this year. The banks were the only place to exchange them, involving queuing in a sticky bank!

Cash, credit or debit cards or pre-paid currency cards are the best methods of carrying money these days.

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rate of exchange

thanks atlantic rover but do you get a better rate of exchange over ther or over here? last year in turkey it was definately better to take english and exchange over there.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rate of exchange

Not a great difference to be honest but the zero commission at the post office was the best deal.

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rate of exchange

cheers!

SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rate of exchange

hi try a pre paid card www.fairfx.com has a good rate. Best exchange rate at Bank of Greece - not to be confused with National bank of Greece- in Samos Town. Rate is usually a little better than UK. You will love samos and Kokkari.Where are you staying ?

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rate of exchange

staying at venus hotel, just over 4 weeks to go.how do the prepaid cards work,we,ve only ever used TCs for our hols.

SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rate of exchange

Load the card online from your bank then use as a debit card or at the ATM. Cheapest way to use is at ATM (1.50€ per transaction ) Go to moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…prepaid for a free card and more info. We are in Agois Konstantions for the summer and were visiting a freind who lives next door to Venus today - lovely pool. No banks in Kokkari so TC not a good idea -3 ATMs though.

Get answers to your questions about Samos
Recent Conversations