We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high denominations

Which Samos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
high denominations

hi again all you helpful people.

am i right in saying that some resteraunts and bars etc.dont like accepting 50 euro notes because of forgeries? or is it for higher denominations?............thanks

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: high denominations

I don't think it's because of forgeries but rather that it eats up all their spare change. If you are in a large party then it's ok because you probably wouldn't need so much change. If you are spending only a small amount then it's just the same as at home and you will be asked "don't you have anything smaller?".

I always ask for 20 euro notes and smaller when I collect currency because there is less likelihood of mistakes being made when you are given change.

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: high denominations

fair do's

thanks atlanticrover

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: high denominations

I've never experienced that, esp. not in restaurants. i'd understand some small shops (lack of change). Often I pay with 50€ note, once I even exchanged 500€ in a restaurant and all they did was joked a bit, but gladly exchange money for smaller notes. So, no worries ;)

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: high denominations

I personally don't like taking higher denomination notes either but ordered online this time and our currency provider had given us some 100 euro notes. I think restaurants are checking for forgeries, on Wednesday night in a restaurant, the waiter left the restaurant with the note (presumably to get it checked) and then came back with the change. Also used one in the airport where they had equipment under the till to verify. Didn't notice any extra vigilance over the 50 euro notes though.

5. Re: high denominations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Samos
Recent Conversations