We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Tar............rah, I'm back and it was absolutely smashing!! ANOTHER island I have fallen hopelessly in lurve with LOL!

Where to start hmmmmm.................Perhaps at the beginning.

(I am doing this in 2 parts as I am still doing the holiday washing and other stuff)

THE FLIGHT:

Brand new, shiny Thomson plane and everything went as clockwork. There was a display giving precise map details of where we were at any given moment, miles from Samos, miles from Manchester, scary altitude etc etc. Just great for someone who likes to distract themselves from the FEAR of being in a tin can a LONG way up from the terra firma!

Thomson staff lovely right through and also on arrival at Samos.

All very efficient.AND I survived the landing, which was a bonus LOL!!

THE HOTEL:

The best, small Greek hotel I have ever stayed in............Honestly!!

We are easy to please and research well but it exceeded all expectations, both in location and atmosphere.

The Anthis in Pythagoria is just outside of the town and harbour and within easy walking distance to there and the village of Chora.

Our rooms ( note ROOMS, not room) were right up in the roof of the hotel and had wonderful views of the mountains all around us and Chora itself. A long, skinny balcony was just the ticket for those early morning coffee's and late night drinks.

I was thrilled that the owner had really done his best to give us what we had hoped for......... but more of him and the family later.

FIRST WEEK:

The first night we headed out for town to get something to eat and ended up at a harbour front restaurant.

As I munched on lamb chops..............SIX would you believe, nom nom, nom,.........The heavens opened up!!

My FIRST Aegean storm and what a tempest it was!! Thunder, lightening and stormy seas. It was great!! I enthusiastically went on and on, waxing lyrical about how scary it must have been for the ancient Greeks and how utterly fearless and splendid they must have been in those days whilst my beloved did a pretty good impression of the 'living dead' and kept forgetting to chew he was so tired.

BTW That night ( after the taxi home) I woke up briefly to the sound of him stumbling about in the bedroom, window open and the lights ON!!

I mumbled what are you doing? He answered that he had heard a mossie and was looking for the plug ins!

The last thing I knew was me telling him that he was a bloody idiot, to shut the window, switch the lights off and get to bed IMMEDIATELY.....and then blessed oblivion!!

So........The exhausted OH tried, for the first few days) to catch up with sleep and learn how to relax again after a hectic time at work.

I amused myself exploring the local vicinity and spent many early hours (grinning) observing the surroundings and watching the house spuggies on the roof of the balcony below ours. They were hilarious in their antics, fighting, pinching each others nesting materials.

There was one bird that was twice the size of his parents and they had another clutch of chicks. He kept trying to get back in the nest and pinch food from the beaks of said parents, even though he was big enough to fend for himself.

What a racket there was for the 2 weeks we were there with him playing merry hell and trying to get them to feed him ( I assume it was a he)........There are some human kids like that haha!

Anyway, he started to get the message just before we left and wasn't getting thinner so must have, reluctantly, got the message.

THE CAR:

Husband rested but quiet. Eventually he said that he had forgotten his driving licence...............Grrrrrr! (See separate thread)

A day late but once sorted, we were off!! Hurrah, mountain villages and secluded coves, here we come.

Next part:

Places we visited, the hotel family and observations :O) :O)

Edited: 10 June 2012, 16:25
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

A lovely, humourous start Cretaholic, looking forward to the next episode, all I want to ask is what the heck is a "spuggy"?

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Spuggy = Sparrow :O) :O)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,335 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

What a great report - waiting for more (and photos ?) !

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

>>>>(and photos ?)<<<<<

Hahaha you jest GT!!

You know I am hopeless with posting that sort of thing. I'd have to take you along with me on my trips for that to happen LOL!. :O) :O)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Creteaholic in Samos;-)) Another 'fave' isle discovered;-) Ahhh..so many!! Keep it coming..lovin' it..and Enjoyin'!

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Thank you Litsa. And I I feel that you have been with me on every adventure as you always read and reply to the reports LOL!

It's truly a wonderful island and we both had a marvellous time. :O) :O)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

.I think I have..lol!! We've been around here a while, eh?;-)) I was in Samos a long time ago..another isle worth considering for a return ~ sigh;-)) OK.. more report..please;-) Enjoyin'!

England
Level Contributor
537 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Enjoying your report with a permanent smile fixed - "All very efficient.AND I survived the landing, which was a bonus"....I know exactly how you feel as I'm just the same.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Spuggy - Learnt that from OH who hails from Co. Durham.

Glad you enjoyed Samos and survived the landing. It is a lovely island. Unfortunately not one of our favourites and I think we would have liked it better if we had stayed anywhere other than Samos Town, I am not very keen on towns. I have just read your 2nd episode and It sounds as if the island has well and truely recovered from the fires that devastated much of the island and Valley of Nightingales the year after our visit some years ago.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Creteaholic in Samos - Trip report (Part 1)

Hi marg001. The north side of the island was really lush with plenty of trees etc and to our first timer eyes didn't look as if the fires had done much damage there.

Around the hills near Pythagorio it was still very green but with far fewer trees and there was evidence that the landscape had changed quite dramatically. It is very much on the road to recovery but will take some time for trees of any size to become established again.

BTW We could hear the jackels up on the hills above Chora at night. They set all the dogs in the villages off barking when they howled.

I'm told that after the fires, the jackels used to sneak down into the lower areas to raid poultry pens as their normal food up in the hills was scarce.

Samos town would not be my ideal as a base, I must admit as my thing is to be up in the tiny hill villages and down into the small fishing bays LOL!.

Get answers to your questions about Samos