We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thassos Information Required Please!

channel islands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thassos Information Required Please!

Hi, Hoping someone can help us. We are planning to go to Thassos in mid June for 1 week, we are a middle aged couple, looking for a resort that has a bit of everything, ie., some nightlife, but not too noisy, a few tavernas/restaurants, and not too far off the beaten track! also does anybody know where we can hire a boat for a day or two? Thanks in advance for your help

Lake District
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Hi - we are going to Thassos in early June - our 4th visit but first for about 5 years. We like Thassos Town itself - a bit of everything. Most accommodation seems to be on the outskirts of town but walkable. I'm sure other posters have their favourite places to stay. It is a lovely island and I'm sure you'll enjoy. Can't help with boat hire tho' - we've only done cars!! I suppose we reluctantly have to admit to being a "middle aged couple" (perhaps just slightly over!) but "young at heart"!!!

Cheers

Brian.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Thassos Town would be ideal for you as a convenient base to see the rest of the Island. There are plenty of good tavernas and bars but it doesn't cater for the 18-30 brigade. There are beaches, archeological sites, shops and a reliable public bus service, to travel to the rest of the Island.

A friend stayed in a smaller resort, on Thassos (the name of which escapes me) and although he loved the resort , they spent a great deal of their time travelling backwards and forwards to Thassos Town, as his resort only had a handful of restaurants, of which he only liked 2.

There are also harbours in Thassos Town and I would be surprised if you could not find somewhere to hire a boat.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

As other posters have said Thassos Town would be my choice for the reasons they have stated. Try Il Posto, Muses and Zorbas as these are the three restaurants we like best in Limenas.

We looked at thassosweddings.webs.com and found the description of the main town and the other resorts useful.

Mentioned in this post
Zorbas
Zorbas
6 Reviews
Thasos, Greece
channel islands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Hi all, many thanks for the information, and it looks like we will try Thassos Town as our base! Husband still going on about boat hire! I looked at various sites and am sure that we can find something for a day or two! Have not been to Greek islands for a few years and really looking forward to going, better get it booked!!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

If you dont have any luck on the boat hire before you get to Thassos try talking to Yannis at Zorbas restaurant in Limenas (Thassos Town). He is a great source of information and also he knows Nikos who captains his pleasure boat Eros 11 who will know if anyone does boat hire. We live in Limenas during the summer but have never heard of private hire.

Also this summer you can hire underwater sea scooters which are great fun. Perfect for lazy snorkelling. They are shaped like a torpedo and pull you along underwater at about 6knm an hour. I have more details on these if you are interested. My e-mail is tabernerchris@yahoo.co.uk.

If you are on facebook look up Thassos Sea Scooters facebook group for a better idea of what I,m talking about.

Mentioned in this post
Zorbas
Zorbas
6 Reviews
Thasos, Greece
channel islands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Many thanks for that info Romseyboy, will check it out! When we went to other Greek islands in the past it was easy to hire a boat, if you were looking to do so. No matter, in any case the thought of some sun to look forward to is enough for me (and of course a few ouzo's)!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

If you like ouzo try tiporoo (it's like Ouzo slightly meen big brother!!!!). We will back on the Asland in April so if you want me too I will make some enquiries about boat hire and post them as a thread on this topic?

channel islands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Thank you very much for that kind offer, however we have booked to go to Corfu, as its easier for us to get to, ie direct flight and not too long of a transfer, and as we have to travel from Channel Islands to get to UK to start with, a week is not long enough, however hopefully September time we will have more time and will try Thassos then!

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

Enjoy Corfu and Kalo Taxidi.

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thassos Information Required Please!

I would recommend Skala Potamias in Thassos. You haev lovely nightlife and are spoilt for choice with restaurants and bars but the beaches aren't crammed and you can actually relax.

You can hire a car and see ruins that people rarely see, for example Aliki is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Skala Potamias
Skala Potamias
Thasos, Greece
Aliki
Aliki
Thasos, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Thasos
Recent Conversations