We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thassos guide

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thassos guide

Hi, does anyone know if I will be able to purchase A-Z guide of thassos on the island? I believe the author actually lives there!

Sidmouth Devon
Destination Expert
for Thasos
Level Contributor
790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thassos guide

a-to-z-guide.co.uk/atoz/…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thassos guide

Dont think you need a guide on the Island as they give a free guide out on the ferry.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thassos guide

Have to say did not notice this particular guide for sale on the island but that is not to say someone there must sell it. We bought our A to Z guide through amazon before we went. Can Highly recommend. I believe you can meet up with Tony Oswin at Zorbas in Thassos town each morning around around 10 and he offers a sort of unofficial tourist information. The A to Z guide is the best guide we have bought and the bonus is that if you use the 10 % voucher in it you can effectively recoup the cost of the book!!

Enjoy your trip to Thassos, we did and returned a second time and intend going again next year too if possible.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 22:52
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thassos guide

I bought this guide and used it as a door stop in the apartment. The book is just cribbed bits from internet etc. I found our old Kosmar guide from years ago and large chunks of it were in this book with a few minor word changes. The discounts are worthless as any restaurant or shop will give you 10% off anyway. Im not saying the book is fraudulent but it is a waste of money in our opinion.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thassos guide

I think you might find they have taken the information from the Gude book not the other way round.

Obviously it is all about personal opinion which all are entitled to, but if you have never visited Thassos before and use the links given in the book on the Internet it can be a very good guide as it is not full of the stuff that other guides usually pad out their books with. As I say personal opinion - we found it very useful and know others have too.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 11:29
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thassos guide

As you say personal choice. As the Kosmar guide was produced before the book dont think they could have cribbed from it! As the book had loads of pages about ancient greek history and Phillipi ( which is not on the Isaland) think it has padded itself out as much as any guide. I simply found it so generic giving such pearls of wisdom as " eat where the locals do" who would have thought!! Think the guide could have been adapted for any Greek island. Sure the author is a decent guy but he cannot write very well and his guide is simplistic and vague. Sure anyone who visits the lsland will love Thassos.

Isle of skye
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thassos guide

I can recommend the book, We used it alot and also met up with him at Zorbas,Thassos is lovely although I have to admit I didnt think the locals were very freindly, service was poor and resturants were nothing special,probably wouldnt go back.

manchester
Level Contributor
134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thassos guide

re the thassos A TO Z GUIDE BOOK AUTHOR TONY OSWIN . this book has a mountain of information and as we were once 1st. timers to thassos found it to be A MUST READ.even after several visits to thassos we still find the updated version so usefull and very well written by the author.it is so clearly

easy to follow the very best guide book you will ever need to purchase.tony oswin also does a guide book on kos island and sanorini .if i was visiting either of these islands i would not hesitate in recommending this authors guide books.you cannot fail to find they are worth their weight in gold.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 00:14
Greece
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thassos guide

I have been e-mailed by a reader advising me of the comments by ‘Westisbest21’ regarding my book. As to his offensive remark regarding cribbing from the web, could ‘Westisbest21’ please explain why I should waste my time on the internet, when I live permanently on Thassos? The book is updated both annually and during the year when required, so anyone with my book can be assured they have the very latest information on what there is to see and do.

Regarding the Kosmar ‘guide’, I am afraid the writer’s comment confirms his lack of knowledge of the island and my book, as the Kosmar ‘guide’ was a mere pamphlet and was written over 10 years ago. What information was contained within it is now either incorrect, or totally out of date. He also commends the free guide handed out on the ferry, sadly though the information is basic and the translation is poor, with very little of it being comprehensible.

I mentioned the comment about “The discounts are worthless as any restaurant or shop will give you 10% off anyway” to a Greek friend who runs one of the popular restaurants in Thassos Town and he laughed and added that he hopes the gentleman doesn’t request this at his establishment.

Regarding the history, the majority of tourists are interested in knowing something about what the island has to offer as far as archaeological sites are concerned and as there is little or no information at the sites, I believe it is important the book contains this. As to Philippi, with it being the most important archaeological site in Northern Greece, it would be remiss of me not to include it, especially as most tour companies to the island include it in their itinerary of trips.

I do not expect to please everyone, but when remarks are posted regarding my book that are totally inaccurate and offensive, I feel it necessary to reply. However, having looked at the many other posts by ‘Westisbest21’, it is evident that he finds very little about Greece as a whole that pleases him. However, I will refrain from offering the obvious suggestion.

Tony Oswin

A to Z Guide to Thassos

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thassos guide

Well said Tony, I bought a copy of your guide 4 years ago when we first went to Thassos, and took it with us each time we returned , it is at this moment in my hand luggage ready for Sunday when we return again to Thassos .

Get answers to your questions about Thasos