We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Hi! We're looking for recommendations for our trip to Greece. We'll have seen Turkey (Istanbul and from Antalya to Ephesus) prior to Greece, so we'll have seen lots of ruins. First, we spend 3 full days in Athens. We can either take a long-distance bus trip (not a tour bus) to Delphi from Athens, or go there after seeing Olympia. The drive from Olympia to Delphi should take about 4 hours w/o stops, and another 3 hours back to Athens. We would take 2 days to do this driving!

BTW, we've already paid for the Athens apartment, so we can't change that or the return trip to the US.

Here's my proposed itinerary (with the day trip to Delphi done while we're in Athenes):

Th July 10: Arrive Piraeus via ferry from Samos at 06:15; visit Acropolis in Athens; afternoon bus to Sounion to see site and sunset, bus back to Athens; stay in apartment

F July 11: Day trip to Delphi via long distance bus; stay in apartment

Sa July 12: Sightsee Athens; last night in apartment

Su July 13: pick up rental car 07:30; drive to Peloponnese, see Nemea and Myceanae on the way; stay in Nafplio

M July 14: visit Epidavrous; ferry to Hydra from Ermioni; stay overnight a reasonably priced pension or domatia (any suggestions? Can we wait till we get there? Any unadvertised ones we can call now?)

Tu July 15: explore Hydra, go back to Peloponnese, stay Nafplio

W July 16: drive south along coast, see Lerna; go through Leonida and Kosmos (see Elonis monastery?); stay overnight in Gythion

Th July 17: explore Mani peninsula; stay overnight in ???

F July 18: continue exploring Mani; see Diros caves in heat of day, drive north, stay in Kardamyli

Sa July 19: visit Messini, stay in Koroni

Su July 20: visit Finikoundas, Methoni; Pilos; stay overnight somewhere near one of these…

M July 21: drive north and visit Olympia; stay nearby

Tu July 22: Drive to Dimitsana or ??? and stay overnight

W July 23: Explore mountains more, continue driving towards Athens, seeing Corinth and Acorinth; stay near Athens airport

Th July 24: Drop car early at airport, 08:30 flight home

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

sounds good but really busy

take it easier and enjoy more

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Yes, I've decided to simplify! We are cutting our Turkey Trip by 4 days to go to Samos (1 day), Naxos (3 days). Then, rerry to Athens and stay for 2.5 days, followed by Nafplio 3 days. Then, we're back to driving every day to see: Monemvassia, Gythio, Karamyli, Methoni, Nestoras Palace, Olympia, Delphi.

I've just found a great website for camping on Greece: http://www.sunshine-campings.gr/map.htm

You click on a site on the map, and viola! A nice website. The Delphi camping spot looks nice. Have you ever camped in Greece?

Now that we are likely to go to Delphi, do you know when the Rio bridge is busy during the week? I was told to avoid the "busy time", but didn't find when that was!

Thanks,

sue

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

From my experience last year driving around the mainland of Greece, it takes a lot longer than you think to go places. If you are off the motorway, then you are driving on winding hilly roads. I was foolish not to realize how mountainous a country Greece is, and how winding, narrow and mountainous the roads are. Then you have to take into account the dozens and dozens of villages along these roads. Many of them with narrow streets with cars parked, double parked, triple parked even. Pull over and put on your 4-way flashers and leave the car..anyplace so it seemed to me. It takes ages to go places. My average speed off the expressways for the day's journey was only in the 40-45 mph region. I am not clear on the Sounion bus trip you mention. If you use the KTEL bus, I believe the last one leaves before sunset occurs. There is quite an interesting restaurant beneath Sounion on the beach (not the big fish place). Apparently frequented by Jackie O and others. We ate there, and then had a taxi take us to the first opportunity to get a regular bus service and tram at Glifyda, rather than come by cab all the way back into Athens.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Thanks for the advice... I'm already thinking of ways to cut out extra stuff (Kardamyli) on our drive. With the new plan on going to Naxos, we'll just stay in Athens those 2.5 days (and only do the day trip to Sounion if we have the time - thanks for the info about the alternative way to get back instead of bus which leaves before sunset - about how much should the taxi cost?).

Does anyone know about rush hour on the Rio bridge midweek?

thank you so much!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
306 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Re camp sites..I stayed in a few in the heat of summer and found them generally not very clean or well shaded, some with water shortage problems. I found the cheaper hotels much better value for money, unless of course you have a campervan.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

The camping nearest to Delphi (about 1500 m.) is the APOLLON (www.apolloncamping.gr). My wife and I (Athens' residents) visit Delphi frequently in our small Ford Transit camper and always stay there...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Please DO remember, Sue, that campsites charge per person, last year many charged 8E per head, this year likely 10E -- so that's 40E per night to lie on the ground. Whereas, outside of high-rent areas like Athens and Nafplio you might get a studio for 4 for 50-55E with a kitchenette where you can breakfast cheaply.

And for that, you must schlep all that camping gear on the plane from USA (with possible extra fees now, for checking this as baggage) plus on and off ferries, on and off busses & Metros etc. If you camp 6 nights during your trip, you will save 60-80 Euros. Just a consideration to factor in to your planning.

manchester
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

can recommend camping apollon at delphi, backpacked there for 5 nights last summer. Lovely, peaceful, laid back site, not too crowded (even in august when we visited last year) great swimming pool, 15-20 mins walk into delphi village (shops and tavernas)and the ruins, or a 5 min tourist train ride, from the campsite at certain times of the day - if you're feeling lazy and not up to the walk! Ktel buses stop on request outside the site on their journey to and from Athens.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Thanks for the advice. I KNOW the cons of taking camping equipment: the extra weight and the fact that it doesn't really save much money, but some places just look fantastic - especially the Delphi sites! We've got two votes for the Apollon site, has anyone tried the Delphi Camping site? Both have pools.

The advantage that we see with camping is the added flexibility. We also plan on camping on the Lycian coast in Turkey.

Has anyone camped down by Koroni, Methoni or Pylos? This is the another place we're considering in Greece. As backup, we'll take lists of places to call for domatia.

We are slowing down a bit: after the 3 days Nafplio, there'll be 2 days Monemvasia in the castle area, 1 day Mystras, 2 days Methoni area, 1 day Olympia and then 1 day Delphi. Yes, I know there's still a lot of driving, but we'll break it up with swims along the way. We've taken out Gythio and Kardamyli, and we'll drive west from Mystras through Kalamata and skip the Mani peninsula entirely.

Suggestions are welcome! /sue

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 day Peloponnese trip in July; Delphi too?

Missing the Mani when you are so close? I would try to get a night there. Its a different place. The Caves are fun. There is a small beach close by.

IMHO. Have fun no matter what!

Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese