We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peloponnese itinerary

Taipei
3 posts
Save Topic
Peloponnese itinerary

Hey everyone,

I've been learning a lot from just lurking on the forums and I've pretty much put together a rough itinerary for our trip to Greece based on everything I've read. We'll be renting a car to increase flexibility, and I've listed out the main portion of our itinerary below (we will be hitting the islands for a few days before we get to the mainland)

9/26 (Fri) Athens to Meteora

9/27 Meteora

9/28 Meteora to Delphi

9/29 Delphi to Olympia

Any must see items in Patras that we should check out as we're going by?

9/30 Olympia to Githion with a stop in Mystras. Also plan to check out the Olive Oil museum in Sparta if possible.

10/1 Githion to Dirou Caves, probably wander around the general area and then go back to Githion for the night

10/2 Githion to Monemvasia

10/3 Monemvasia to Nafplio

10/4 Nafplio (Argos, Mycenae, Tiryns)

10/5 Nafplio (Epidavros)

10/6 Nafplio to Athens (probably stop by in Ancient Corinth)

Are there any must see items that we should make a detour for?

We're also not planning on booking any of these hotels ahead of time, but I plan to compile a list of options before we leave. I'm assuming that the main tourist season should pretty much be over, and that it won't be too difficult to find some vacancies, and hopefully last minute deals.

Any comments/recommendations are very welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

I am following a similar route on my trip at nearly the same time! I have done this drive before, and your trip looks very good to me. I do think that on your way out of Delphi, that a side stop in Galaxidi will be worthwhile, before you cross the Gulf of Corinth...also check out Philhellene's post on his recent trip. On your Gythion leg,there are great beaches to be found not only at Mavrouvoni(just south of town) but isolated sandy stretches on the Gythion-Skala Road. When at Dirou, check out the small quaint agricultural town close by, Areopoli,

with a couple of good tavernas, beautiful tower houses (many converted to B&Bs) and just south of there, the tiny (literally at the edge of the sea) village of Limeni with its dramatic views. In Gythion you will find some nice seaside tavernas, and pensions..drive south along the waterfront, and you will find many rooms to rent. I would say that you will likely not have a problem with finding lodging, but, you may want to pre-book in Nafplio,

as it is a fairly large city, that has lots of traffic, and it can be a drag wandering around with your car to find a place to stay..that and its a popular year round destination. Watch out for tractors, farm animals, and a few YiaYias on donkeys

on the side roads of Laconia..you're going to love this part of Greece. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

Just checked my calendar and you'll be in Nafplio on the weekend. I'd definitely pre-book there as it’s a popular weekend destination for Athenians.

And Johnnie, you’re no papou; you’ve got tons more energy than I do! I’d find this pace too rushed, particularly from the 28th through the 30th. E1rond, do you plan to get a very early start the 28th and 30th and see Delphi and Olympia in the afternoon? I’d prefer a more relaxed arrival, checking in and relaxing a bit after a drive, rather than rushing off to a site. Or, if you plan to visit Olympia and Delphi in the mornings, on the 30th, you’ll have to fit in a trip to the Olympia site, the drive to Mystras and a visit to that site, which I’ve heard deserves at least half a day. If you’re a constant go type of person, this may be the pace you prefer, but I’d be pooped. I do second Johnnie’s recommendation of Galaxidi. We used it as a base to explore Delphi and loved it.

Whatever minor tweaking you do (or don’t do), this sounds like a fantastic trip!

Susan

Taipei
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

Hi Johnnieb,

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to add those places to our list of areas to stop by on our way through.

Hi Susan,

You make some good points about the start times. I'm thinking we'll be making a reasonably early start on the 28th, since we'll have the complete 27th in Meteora. I'm really not sure how much time we'll need in Delphi, I'm under the impression that an afternoon may be enough, but I'm more than willing to spend part of the morning of the 29th in Delphi. To be honest, I haven't read anything about Olympia that puts it on my must see list, but it seems to make sense as a stopping point. I don't expect to spend too much time here, and would prefer to spend the time in Mystras.

John

4. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2008, 13:19
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

I suspect that the OP is somewhere between Gythio and Monemvasia right now, hiddengreece.

;)

6. Re: Peloponnese itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 00:18