We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Minsk, Belarus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Hi,

Every year we're trying a new country and always looking for a quiet, picturesque, unspoilt, secluded, authentic vacation.

Last year we found the place of our dreams in Turkey thanks to TripAdvisor.

This year we're contemplating Greece.

We narrowed it down to Peloponnese as the best opportunity to find our little Greek heaven.

Right now we're just looking for a name of a specific village/town. Could you help?

We really long for beautiful stunning gorgeous pristine nature... Sea, sand, hills, fields, maybe even mountains, who knows... Minimal development... Minimal screaming tourists... Interaction with the locals...

Looking for full board... Ideally, a small pansion owned by a family so that we can really learn the way the locals live...

I'm not even mentioning that we're also interested in day trips to historic places - I guess in Greece this is a given :)

I hope to hear your wonderful suggestions. Thank you!

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Plaka has two beaches, one sand, one shingle.

As already stated, beaches on the west are mainly sand. Try Kakovatos, Neochori, Zacharo, Elia, Gianitsohori, Tholos. Good luck!

Minsk, Belarus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Hello my dear Peloponnesians!

So happy to have you as an ear to vent. Thank you all.

Researching and researching.

This is where I stand so far... Can I be honest? Well, I guess I should, because as we exchanged ideas on what we like and don't like, we get closer to what we dream of.

I've been looking and looking for that lush, green, hilly, naturally diverse place that we had in mind, and for some reason it's not there.

Let me illustrate by example. Let's take Sampatiki. This is probably the closest to what we're looking for. It has a cozy, enveloping bay, and the area stretching out from the beach isn't flat - hills start right away. Seems like an interesting place to hike, climb, etc. Some greenery. And looks really cozy when you're on the beach - you're hugged by the bay. A super strong candidate.

Any more along these lines? I guess I'm really looking to be struck by pictures of very intense natural wild beauty.

Minsk, Belarus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Oh, and I'd be really ungrateful if I didn't acknowledge Gialova and Voidokolia Bay! Whoever suggested that is a genius. Another strong candidate. Perhaps in doubt on this one for the reason that all the stunning beauty of Voidokolia seems to be quite a walking distance away from nearby housing... August and 40C outside... will be tough...

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Lush, green, hilly... I'm afraid you're looking in the wrong country. Greece is mountainous and quite rugged, and no part of it will feel lush at the end of a hot and dry summer.

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

How about:

http://www.koroni.net/index_eng.htm

Although not a small beach, Zaga is very beautiful and Koroni a very pretty Greek town.

Minsk, Belarus
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Hey guys! Your help is still very much needed to brainstorm for a quaint picturesque village. We very much like Gialova and Kardamili - all your suggestions from this thread - but we're having trouble with availability at those places. If you can think of anything else that has a small bay, mountains/hills, doesn't feel dry and spread out, and is small, then please let us know! Thank you!

P.S. Tinsey, thanks for your insight on the rugged feel, but I hope you do agree there's a difference between rugged,mountainous, yet picturesque and cozy, on the one hand, and... you know. I don't mean to sound like I have unrealistic expectations. Actually, many places you've suggested do work. It's just that we need more ideas at this point. THANK YOU ALL!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

So long as you go with your eyes open... ;-)

Keep in mind that a lot of the "lush" pics you see on the internet were taken in spring time (probably after heavy rainfall) and not at the end of August. Also August may well be too hot for much serious walking / hiking, especially between 11 AM and 7 PM due to the high temps and unforgiving sunshine. Plus any place worth visiting will be crawling with tourists, so don't expect picturesque isolation.

If you go to Voidokilia, make sure you leave before dusk, or be prepared to become a meal for mossies. You have been warned ;-)

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Why not tour? Then, if you don't like one place - the next one might be better! We are off to the Peloponnese next month and dream of the sort of places you like - but we realise that this is what many people are searching for and we are unlikely to be alone! :)

Apart from Athens, we are staying around Olympia (not in the town) but realise it will be teeming with tourists in town - there are sandy beaches close by (Zacharo etc). Then we are going to Gialova and staying at Zoe's. Next stop, Gythio, staying at the Castello Antico Hotel on Mavrovouni Beach (looks sandy) - this is handy for Monemvasia, the Mani and Sparta/Mystra. On our way back to Athens, we're stopping near Nafplion - in the hills behind, in a little villa with private pool. Quiet and amongst the locals - but close to Nafplion and Tolo, Mycenae and Epidavros.

Personally, I would not want full board as this really restricts you for day trips if you have to be back at the hotel for lunch.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Mavrovouni beach IS sandy, take a look at the pics of it in this collection,

flickr.com/photos/…

They maybe more than just the one person on it when you go though!

Edited: 29 May 2011, 23:41
England
Level Contributor
898 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Unspoilt/quiet/authentic village in Peloponnese?

Thanks, yiassis - beautiful photos as always!

This was a last minute change for us - we were going to be staying in Areopolis, but then I came across this hotel by accident and just had to stay on the beach!

Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese