We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most scenic route athens-arcadia, prettiest village stopover

Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
most scenic route athens-arcadia, prettiest village stopover

Hi, on our way from Athens, we have one night to stay in a Peloponnesian village before heading for 3 nights in Nafplion, our base for Mycenae and the eastern coast. First, driving from Athens into Arcadia, which are the most scenic roads and villages? Then going back to Nafplion, is there an alternate route east so we don't have to drive on the same route? Posts seem unclear, mixed opinions of Andritsena. No concensus for any other village. We prefer to stay a bit east of Andritsena, if there is a great stop.

We will be there on a Sunday in mid May. Does that make a difference in driving or finding restaurants open. One last question, any fun place to see some traditional Greek dancing or a taverna where people dance? Thanks to all of you in advance!!! Rose

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most scenic route athens-arcadia, prettiest village stopover

The quickest route from Athens to Arkadia is of course, the motorway which runs as far as Tripoli and only involves a drive of an hour and a half. Once clear of Corinth, the road carries surprisingly little traffic and is quite scenic all the way. Once you get as far as Tripoli, you can strike out in any direction but I would like to suggest a route which I travelled in November and is really quite outstanding.

Continue south from Tripoli on the old road (first exit after Tripoli North) towards Sparti until you see a left turn for Karies (Καρυές) and continue on this road. It skirts round Mount Parnonas eventually coming to the coast at Astros. It's a lovely mountain road quite steep and narrow in places with tight bends but perfectly safe and traffic free. It passes through forests and villages like Agios Petros which is well worth a stop and has places to stay. As you continue towards the coast, you will come to Oreini Meligou which has amazing views down to the coast and across the Argolic Gulf and islands. I stopped to eat at a taverna just past Oreini Meligou (name escapes me) and it had outside tables with great views.

It's an easy drive from Astros up the coast to Nafplio.

Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most scenic route athens-arcadia, prettiest village stopover

Thank you, philhellene.

I will get out the map! Any hotels in particular?

3. Re: most scenic route athens-arcadia, prettiest village stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:18