We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS maps?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
GPS maps?

We're looking at purchasing a GPS and I'm thinking of bringing it to Greece in May. As I'd need to purchase a map program for it, does anyone have suggestions on which brand would offer better maps of Greece, and Peloponnese in particular? (choices of Magellan, Tom Tom and Garmin)

Thanks for any help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS maps?

Outside of Athens, they all used to be useless, but I got an updated map from Garmin last year and it works quite well.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS maps?

Thanks!! Was leaning towards a Garmin :)

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS maps?

I used a Garmin GPS on my drive around the Peloponnese and it worked excellent. In one or two occasions it sent me onto an old road instead of the new one, but that was only a minor problem. When choosing "shortest distance" instead of "fastest", you may experience some minor roads which are well worth a visit. The Garmin-voice have some problems to pronounce the road names, but the correct name are always on the display. In some occasions it also shows a street-view picture of road junctions.

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS maps?

I use TOM TOM all over Europe without any problems, I use my ipod touch with gps kit, the mapping app gets updated maps at least twice a year.

Music on the beach and sat nav for touring.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS maps?

Doesn't the GPS on ipods and iphones use data though?

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS maps?

No for ipod touch you need to buy the car kit to mount it which has GPS unit fitted.

The Tomtom app through itunes gets map updates at least twice a year, i have used mine all over europe.

TomTom do 3 versions of Europe map you need full version not the Eastern or Wester version.

The Eastern version does cover greece.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS maps?

could you tell me which countries the tom tom western europe covers please... which one did you purchase. many thanks

Edited: 27 July 2012, 01:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS maps?

could you tell me which countries your ap covered, as i'm not sure which of the three to buy thanks

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS maps?

Sorry only revisited Western Europe covers from UK across to Italy south to Spain, North to all Scandinavia and east as far as Germany/Austria/Switzerland.

Eastern covers the rest of Europe incl Greece.

Work on iphone without GPS car kit. But ipod needs GPS car kit.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 19:48
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS maps?

many thanks for your reply and information