We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south peloponnese itinerary

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
south peloponnese itinerary

We are driving from Athens in late May. Our plan is to stay in Tolo for a few days, then Gythio, then somewhere around Pylos, perhaps stopping in Stoupa for a couple of nights also. We want an unhurried trip with time for relaxation as well as exploring and walking, so have limited ourselves to the south. However, in order to get back to Athens for the flight back it will be necessary to find somewhere to stay on the way so that we are not more than an hour or two drive from the airport (our flight is at 13.15). One possibility would be to return to Tolo for the last couple of nights, but just wondered if there was an attractive alternative to avoid backtracking - I looked at the area around Corinth, which is handy for getting back to Athens, but does not look all that appealing. Any suggestions?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

It's worth looking at a trip to Mystras on your trip from Stoupa area to Athens. This means you need to divert via Sparta, but it's a great trip through the mountains. It's 3 hours to Athens from there so you would still need to get closer. There are some nice hotels that come up on booking.com, not at corinth but on the other coast, perhaps Loutraki.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,408 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

Mistras as noted above is worth checking out. Also, close to Stoupa is Kardamili. The are above these villages, the foothills of Taygetus is good for walking/hiking.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

On your way back, Loutraki is an option, only an hours drive from Athens.

You could visit the area around Loutraki, and all the sights in Corinth.

Reas more about Loutraki +++ here:

visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Excursions…

and Corinth: visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Excursions…

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

Another possibility is to turn your trip around and leave Tolo to the end as it's just over a two hour drive to the airport. I usually find that getting to the furthest point of my journey at the start works best for me as I can work my way back to the airport at leisure.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions - will look at Loutraki or try to finish in Tolo, which is not too much of a drive from the airport.

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

Hi

We travelled the Peloponnese using public transport a few years ago. We stayed in Tolo, then Tyros before Elafonnisso and then took ferry to Gythio and on to Stoupa. We walked along the coast to Agios Nickolas (Ag Nik) close to Stoupa and decided to move there for a few days....really lovely quiet fishing village. All great with something different. I agree Tolo on the way back.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

I would recommend that you make your first and last stop LOUTRAKI on the north - Just off the corinth canal . Only Lovely seaside place and very close to Corinth and archaelogical sites

I would also include Areopolis and Itilo on your itinerary as Mani is lovely

8. Re: south peloponnese itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:34