We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Could anyone recommend a lovely coastal town not too far from Kalamata? I know stoupa and Kardamyli but was looking for somewhere difference, maybe with a little more going on in the evening but more traditional than young nightlife. Am taking a pensioner with me and would like her to have a good quality hotel with a really nice pool but the option to go to a nice beach and walk around with ease in the evening to visit shops/restaurants. I've look at pictures of Naupflio and Koroni so far but it's difficult to get the feel of a place from websites. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Nafplio would be a good choice ,(quite chic in a good way) , but a long way from Kalamata .If you're in Messinias you could consider Pilos. Also Koroni is worth a look.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Most of the pretty coastal towns & villages don't have hotels with pools, they tend to be on the outskirts, or in between locations. As many of them are old towns with narrow streets & alleyways this is unlikely to change!

I am thinking Finikounda may be the closest you'll get to your desciption without going too far from Kalamata. Koroni is lovely, but to be the side of town with most of the tavernas & shops you won't get a pool.

Will you have a car? Where are you flying to? Which month? All will have a bearing on choices.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Really liked Kyparissa

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Dear All

Many thanks for your recommendations which were very helpful. Yiassas thank you to you - following your suggestion I'm holding a room at the Colonides in vounaria a short trip (I think!) from Koroni but it is the beach/pool combination and we can drive into Koroni in the evening. We're flying into Kalamata in July and will probably pick up a car. I will certainly look at Nafplio and Kyparissa next time around.

Thanks again. Jane

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Good choice!

Some photos on the beach there,

flickr.com/photos/…

Most taken from the cafe/taverna on the beach (Peroulia) where they also have rooms, close to the Colonides, in high season this is open in the evening, so you won't have to drive somewhere every day.

http://www.peroulia.gr/

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Wow.....this beach looks gorgeous.....sandy, quiet and a lovely taverna. Doesn't get much better.....Many thanks Yiassas...

Jane

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Hi Jane, Yiassas knows the area very well and the beaches around K oroni are lovely as shown in the photo. I just wanted to add that we have explored the area and wondered if you were like us and preferred not to drive in the dark? The road down to the colonides is as i remember very narrow and twisty also Koroni centre can become very congested as the roads weren't built with todays traffic in mind. I dont want to put you off but as there isnt anywhere in walking distance of Colonides i didnt want you to get stuck there. Have you looked at Gialova:? Hotel Zoe has a pool and a lovely beach opposite, also tavernas and a couple of shops and only a short drive to Pylos Town with its harbour shops , square , castle etc. I took my mum (90) to Finikounda, which is between Koroni and Pylos she loved it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Hi Linosdekos thank you so much for your helpful post. In fact I'd been thinking along similar lines so have decided to get a villa near Stoupa where she can have her comforts inside if it gets to hot. We also know the area so that makes it helpful. I will take your suggestions though for the second week and have a look at Gialova and Finikounda when it will just be me and husband. I'm interested in all of the places you mentioned so thank you once again. Best wishes Jane

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

Jane, Gialova is another good suggestion by Linosdekos.

I can help again with photos,

Finikounda,

flickr.com/photos/…

Gialova,

flickr.com/photos/…

If the week for you & your husband has different requirements & a pool not so necessary then you have a huge choice!

You can consider Chrani, (there are a few places with a pool),

flickr.com/photos/…

Koroni itself,

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Methoni,

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

Petalidi,

flickr.com/photos/…

Feel free to ask about any places you like!

Just a few ideas

10. Re: Best Coastal Towns in Peloponnese

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:41