We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Would appreciate anyone's help. I'm planning on being in Greece in October, and I'll be using bus transport and coming down from Albania. After five nights in Athens with a day trip to Delphi, I am headed for the Peloponnese and then to the islands. Here is what I have so far:

Nights-

Kalambaka 1-2

Athens 3-7

Monemvassia 8

Gythion 9-11 (day trip to Dirous Caves, Mystras)

Nafplion 12-14 (day trip to Myceanae, Epidavros)

Ferry 15

Santorini 16-18

Naxos 19-21

Ferry 22

So, is the Peloponeese section a workable itinerary with the bus, or am I crazy?

Also, I'll need to get to Pireaus and catch a ferry to the islands and I'll be coming from Nafplion. Is it possible in October to catch a night ferry to say Santorini, or get there early enough to catch a day ferry? My concern is having to spend an extra night in Athens(day 15) and have to wait until the next day to ferry out.

I'm wide open to change my plan to see everything. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Jason

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Your Peloponnese section is workable but I'd be inclined to base yourself in Sparti which is close to Mystras and has frequent buses to Monemvasia and Areopoli (for the Diros caves). It would be relatively straightforward to get to Nafplio from Sparti with a change in Tripoli, I believe.

To be honest, the Diros caves do nothing for me and the guides are a stroppy bunch who make no concessions to foreign visitors. If caves are your thing, you might want to think about the Perama caves near Ioannina which I personally think are superior and which should be easily reached from Kalambaka.

If you're bothered about having another night in Athens on your way to the islands, why not try to get from Kalambaka to the Peloponnese in one go and leave Athens until later in your trip. It would make for a long day but you could do it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

Thank you! That's extremely helpful and I will take a serious look at your suggestions. I had understood Sparti to be a transit base, but I was concerned about basing myself there since the reviews for the city were pretty lackluster. However, if it works out better to day trip and I can see that it does. It might be worth it. Thank you so so much.

Jason

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

Sparti gets a very unfair reputation from the travel guides. It's probably not the sort of place that you would choose as a holiday destination but it's a good base for you. It's a lively place with wide boulevards and parks shadowed by Mount Taygetos. It's home to the University of the Peloponnese and the cafes are full of students.

If you're likely to be in the area on the last weekend of October, the chestnut festival in nearby Arna is great fun.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Good to know! I'm seriously considering basing myself there. Saw some video of the city after your suggestion. Beautiful setting, especially with the mountain background. Appreciate the advice.

Jason

5. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:17