We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Hi all,

I asked a few questions back in October last year but our plans have changed a bit since then.

We pick up a car in Athens and drive to Nafplio then go to Monemavasia, Mystras, Kalavryta then Lefkada is the next destination. Originally Kalamata was also on the itinerary but we've dropped that now.

We have 8 nights to get eventually to Monodendri, Zagori Region.

We're not booking ahead because we just want to stay as long or little in each place as we go but do want to be prepared with options so we're not completely "lost" and end up in the middle of nowhere after dark!!

So what I'm wondering is... if we leave Monemvasia and drive to Mystras, spend a few hours sightseeing there then head north up towards Kalavryta should we head into Tripoli for a night stop or try to avoid the larger towns ( driving on wrong side of the road, lots of traffic etc )? If so, where would be a good stop?

I've looked at the sunset times and it looks like it doesn't get dark until nearly 7pm so we should be able to get in about 3 hours driving after Mystras.... any ideas on where we'll end up?

Rough timeline I'm thinking:

Leave Monemvasia 9am

Arrive Mystras 11am spend min 3 hours exploring

Leave Mystras 2pm

Arrive ??? 5pm

That would give us a couple of hours to look around in the town of choice for night stopover... would obviously prefer it to be a pretty mountain village than a big city!! Would Valcherna be a good stop... will there be accommodation open in late October?

Thanks... Larn

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Hi,

I can't think why you shouldn't stay in Tripolis, by no means is it a big city with lots of traffic. My choice would be to slow down a little and spend some more time in the Taygetus foothills. Not too far from Mystras is the magical village of Anavriti, you could spend a night there.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

There's little to recommend Tripoli as a place to stay but you could drive up that way and take the road through Vytina to the Lousios Gorge with lovely villages like Stemnitsa and Dimitsana. It's a diversion from your route to Kalavrita but well worth it - especially Stemnitsa which is very beautiful.

It's about an hour and a half and ticks your box for a mountain village. An alternative route is to follow signs from Mystras to Megalopoli (if you can find any). The road skirts the eastern side of Mount Taygetos and the roads aren't as good as the first suggestion but it twists and turns through several villages and carries hardly any traffic.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 15:54
Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Thanks for your replies.

AjarnAndy we really want to spend a couple of days on Lefkada so are cutting one out of the Peloponnese, a very hard decision to make because I'm sure we could spend our whole 3 weeks there and still not see everything but compromise has to be made with 3 people traveling together! So unfortunately it's a stop at Mystras and then get as far as we can in 3 hours before our stop at Kalavryta.

Philhellene, when we were going to be driving from Kalamata, Dimitsana was actually our preferred night stop but I thought it would be way out of our way coming from Mystras. Someone gave me great directions for the trip from Dimitsana to Kalavryta which I've printed out.

I'll go back to the map and look at it again. You said it would take us about an hour and a half from Mystras to Dimitsana?? Is that for a Greek driver that knows the road or could a tourist driving on the "wrong" side of the road manage the trip in that time too? Google maps is really no measure of times on those sort of roads!!

Edited: 02 September 2013, 23:00
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

I drove from Tripoli to Dimitsana and Stemnitsa and from there to Sparti using both these routes only last week so, yes, the timings are about right. The road via Vytina is excellent all the way and you really won't have any problems.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Just to add to the above, it's possible that the new motorway connection from Sparti to Tripoli which swings by Megalopoli will be open by the time you travel and that would slash your journey time considerably. When I passed the other day, the road was complete but for a section at the Sparti end which needed surfacing and white lining. It is scheduled to open next month but then again, it was supposed to be open about 18 months ago. If I hear anything, I'll post again.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

Thanks philhellene, sounds like it doesn't matter which way we go although I do hope that new road is open! Good to know we can do that leg in around an hour and a half, will give us more time to explore not only Mystras but Dimitsana as well!!

Much appreciated.

7. Re: Traveling the Peloponnese in October.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese