We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Peloponnese

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through Peloponnese

Hi All,

Planning a road trip... 6 nights and planning to stay a different place each night... Interest in any thoughts on This trip

Day 1 : Athens - Nafplion (see Corinth & Mycenae)

Day 2 : Nafplion - Monemvasia (See Monemvasia & surrounds)

Day 3 : Monemvasia - Gerolimenas (relaxing day)

Day 4 : Gerolimenas - Stemnitsa (see Sparta & Mystras)

Day 5 : Stemnitsa - Patra (or a village nearby) (see Olympia)

Day 6 : Patra - Delphi (Delphi)

Day 7 : Delphi - Athens

I've tried factoring in about 2ish hours driving per day... Any thoughts?

Not sure whether this is unrealistic? I realise we are seeing a lot but I cant think of anything to take off the list...

Any help would be appreciated.

Could you please also advise if there are any tricky driving sections - I've from Aus and our roads are rather flat and simple.

Thanks!

Greg

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Sorry,

Bit of a change

Day 1 : Arrive Athens (1.50pm) drive direct to Nafplion

Day 2 : Nafplion - Monemvasia (See Monemvasia & surrounds)

Day 3 : Monemvasia - Gerolimenas (relaxing day)

Day 4 : Gerolimenas - Sparta (see Sparta & Mystras)

Day 5 : Sparta - Stemnitsa

Day 6 : Stemnitsa - Patra (or a village nearby) (see Olympia)

Day 7 : Patra - Delphi (Delphi)

Day 8 : Delphi - Athens

Day 9 : Fly out to Aus

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

I really don't know where to start with this. You'll do so much driving, checking in and out of hotels, packing and unpacking that you'll have little time to see much. This is more of a box ticking exercise than a holiday.

You haven't said when you're thinking of travelling but winter is on its way here and daylight hours are short. You won't get to Nafplio on your first day much before 5pm and you then want to get to Monemvasia next day which is a good 3 1/2 hour drive by the quickest route. The Peloponnese is mountainous and whilst the roads are good, it can be slow going with some steep gradients and hairpin bends.

I'm not sure why Gerolimenas is on your list as it's quite out of the way albeit a decent base for exploring the Mani . On a wet day in winter, it's a pretty grim place. You might not even make Stemnitsa if the weather is really bad.

Whenever you're planning to go, revise your itinerary. You need a couple of weeks to see what you want to see.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,056 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

We took almost 2 weeks to see what you propose in the first 4 days. Mystras needs at least half a day to cover the site properly. But as said - if you enjoy driving (albeit slowly) you can achieve a tick the boxes drive by tour. But the Peloponnese deserves a slower pace if you are to actually see anything but tarmac!

Gerolimenas is nothing special but stay there for 3 days & it makes a decent base for the Lower Mani. Otherwise give it a miss!

Driving in Greece can be slow going - mountain roads, stuck for miles behind HGV, goats in the road etc. Please think again. This is like trying to see Sydney, Cairns, Perth, Darwin, Alice, Uluru, Melbourne & Adelaide in a week.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Yes this is completely unrealistic. If you can't exend your stay, then you need to curtail your itinerary. Forget Gerolimenas - the Mani is wonderful (i've just come back from a week there) but with limited time and wanting to see some of the major ancient sites, it is just too far out of the way and your proposed route would involve a long backtrack that you don't have time for. Forget Delphi, leave it for another trip. Forget Sparti too, nowadays it is a pleasant enough modern town but has hardly any trace of its ancient history.

I would recommend at least 2 nights in Nafplio, giving yourself time to visit nearby Epidavros which I would say is unmissable, and Mycenae if you have time. You can explore the beautiful old town itself in the evenings.

If you are used to flat, simple roads then yes I think you will find driving in Greece tricky! Be prepared to take it slowly, and move over and allow other traffic to overtake if it is backing up behind you. Do not be tempted to copy local Greek drivers who often take apparently insane risks e.g. overtaking on bends, and usually drive much too fast.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Thank you all for your help, I think this is our 7th Itinerary...it's very difficult to determine what is achievable!!

Considering all you comments i'm thinking instead of getting rid of sparta & the mani. Would the following be more achievable?

2 nights Nafplion

1 night Monemvasia,

2 nights Stemnitsa

2 nights Delphi

We are going in November. Will the weather be suitable during this time?

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

*Last week of November and first week of December if it makes a difference*

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Hi,

That appears to be more doable but the very last place I would miss out on is the Mani. It is a good time to travel then with few other visitors around. No one can predict the weather but do expect it to be on the chilly side and take some winter clothing along with you.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Sunrise is around 7.20 and sunset just after 17.00 if that's any help.

It's a better schedule and you could fit in Mystras on your way from Monemvasia to Stemnitsa if you started early enough as Monemvasia > Mystras is about 1 1/2 hours and then about 2 hours to Stemnitsa. That would give you a full day in the Lousios Gorge area and given your interest in ancient sites, you may be able to include a trip to the temple of Vassae which isn't far. From Stemnitsa to Delphi is about 4 1/2 hours.

Still a lot of driving though.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

Yes it is more do-able but still means a lot of driving! I would omit Delphi and go to Olympia instead. It means less driving; it is a wonderful site, ok not as wonderful as Delphi but still great, and with a good museum. Bear in mind too that Delphi is way up high in the mountains, and at that time of year the weather (and therefore driving conditions) could be bad.

You might be lucky and get mild, dry days but on the other hand you should be prepared for the possibility of cold, wet weather. It will certainly be cold in the mountains around Stemnitsa, especially at night, so take warm clothing. Plan to reach your overnight accommodation by sunset at 17.00 because you really won't want to be driving after dark on unfamiliar mountain roads, on the "wrong" side and possibly in bad weather.

Maybe leave your last 2 nights flexible - don't pre-book accommodation in Delphi, then if the weather is good and you are comfortable with the driving, go to Delphi; otherwise go to Olympia. In Nov/Dec it shouldn't be difficult to find hotel rooms.

10. Re: Driving through Peloponnese

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:17