We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

Hi,

I've just returned from 3 weeks driving around Greece. We started picking up a car at Athens airport and drove to Nafplio then on to Monemvasia, Mystras, Dimitsana, Kalavryta and over the Rio Antirro bridge up to Lefkada. From there we went to Monodendri in the Zagori region, Meteora, the Pelion and back to Athens.

I will just post a link to the blog I wrote as it was written on the go so has all the details I'll forget if I try to write now. I actually haven't quite finished it (have the last few days in Greece to finish up yet) but will hopefully get it done soon!!

Thanks to all the wonderful people that answered my questions, all your advice was much appreciated.

www.travelpod.com/s/footloose_llr

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

Just had a quick look at your blog & will be back to read it in full when I have time to enjoy the details. You went to so many places I am familiar with so it was nice to see them again! Looks like a great trip & nice that you went slow enough to actual enjoy the sights instead of a mad drive-through that so many seem to plan for. Lovely pictures too. I always advise people to visit Meteora for the sunset - stunning!

Looking forward to your completion of the Pelion trip as we are aiming to go there next year for our first visit & I can see already from your pictures that we shall not be disappointed.

Thanks for sharing & happy planning for wherever you go next.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

Hi there

Thank you for posting and the link to your blog - Wow what an amazing adventure - only checked out the Meteora photos and blog but will settle down to read the rest this evening when I have more time :-) - I have only visited Meteora - so loved your photos from here - and definitely agree with you that we must visit Meteora again!!! ...........and your photo of the loo brought back some funny memories too

Looking forward to reading the rest of your adventure

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

I have only had time to read the Pelion section as yet. I thought I would reassure you that your navigator did not take you the wrong way through Volos - there is no "bypass" and the only route to the Pelion is to drive right through the centre of Volos.

I'm pleased you stayed in Milies, it's a lovely village - did you visit the library, founded in 1815 - amazing to find such a place in a mountain village but it has a distinguished history - and the fascinating little folk museum? I look forward to reading more.

England
Level Contributor
526 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

A great blog with some fabulous photos. You certainly packed a lot in on your adventure. Glad you enjoyed Zagoria - it's still one of my favourite Greek destinations and I would love to see it in Autumn like you did..

Like tsipouro, I was interested in your Pelion section as we hope to visit next May.

Many thanks for sharing

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

wow,what a lovely blog!please finish it so i can read about my favourite place,pelio

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

In your report from Monodendri you include a photo of a brown sign which you have captioned "Built in 1906?"

In fact this sign says (roughly translated): "Here died from Turkish gunfire the military commander Georgios Arkoudos, 6th August 1906". I assume this Greek hero was rebelling against Turkish rule - Epirus was part of the Ottoman empire until it became part of Greece in 1913.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 16:33
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

Am I the only one unable to read the blog?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

..Don't think so philhellene, I can't access it either! Was looking forward to it! Appears LarnAustralia totally enjoyed!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

there must be an easier way but i found this one..

once you are at the link you click on entries on the right..you are now at the greece trip blog and at the end of the page there is a number which shows in which part of the blog you are..you pick step one to go at the start and go on from there..

can't wait for pelion report

Edited: 15 November 2013, 19:00
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report .. what a wonderful place!!

some times it works sometimes it doesn't that's a difficult blog!

Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese