We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

My husband and I usually rent auttomatic cars in Europe. We will be with my parents this time and using their stick shift car coming from Athens.

My husband has experience with a stick but has not driven one for decades. He may take a refresher lesson.

How treacherous or scary or hard is the drive once you get off the highway? Are there short side trips from Nafplio that are an easy short drive? (I have a fear of sharp s turn windy cliff roads) Should we rent an automatic instead?

thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

Hey and welcome Doby47:-) The drive from the airport to Nauplion is on a highway.. from Nauplion, you can certainly visit close-by sites (actually since you'll be there you shouldn't miss them;-) to include Epidauros Theater, Old Mycenae, Old Corinth.. the roads here are well travelled since the sites are so popular;-) The more curvy, twisting roads are a bit further South in the mountainous areas.. you should be good to go if you stick to Nauplion and surrounds;-) FWIW, would definitely consider a refresher course! I don't drive, but have heard once you learn stick shift.. it's pretty much like learning to ride a bike.. you don't easily forget.. but it certainly wouldn't hurt for him to get a hold of a shift and drive around a bit beforehand;-) Have fun.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

Thank you. Very helpful

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

My pleasure:-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

This rental co. is very helpful and has good prices and autos.

You might find an auto enables the driver to concentrate better on twisty roads.

http://www.athens-carrental.com/

Enjooooy!

Brooktondale
Level Contributor
154 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

I would agree with Litsa except on 1 minor point.. Old Corinth is a bit far for a day trip from Nafplio. You'll be better off seeing it en route to or from Nafplio. Or even spend a nite there if you have plenty of time. As far as the driving goes, I found it best to keep right and stay out of the way of the locals. They drive a lot faster than I especially when I'm taking in the scenery.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

Hi everyone. I have been to Corinthos, many years ago, My family is Greek and my aunt lived there!

we now will have an automatic car so other than driving carefully, we will be very careful:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

..Sounds like a plan Dolby47:-) Head out.. have a blast.. and of course, totally EnJOY!

8. Re: An American driving stick (or automatic) to Nafplio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese