We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

Hi all,

We (couple, early 50s, children no longer an issue!) are at early stages of planning a two/two and a half week (flexible) holiday next summer (2015) to The Peloponnese.

Can someone please come up with suggestions for two villages/resorts where we could split our time - I prefer not to spend more than a week in any one place.

Flying into/from Kalamata.

I prefer not to drive on holiday, so would prefer two places not too far apart, otherwise transport between the two would be an issue.

Would not having a car be a problem? - It would probably sit idle for 11 out of 14 days, and would only be used to/from the Airport, and between the two resorts.

We love Greece, and its Islands, and have visited more than 20 of them over the years, but have never visited The Peloponnese - and everyone we talk to says how wonderful it is.

We like

Small villages/resorts compared to big, built up ones

Old fashioned Tavernas compared to fine dining.

Quiet beaches.

Basically a chilled out holiday.

Many thanks.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

You could split your time between the Mani, to the east of Kalamata and Messinia to the west. In the Mani, Kardamili is a very attractive, relaxing place with good quality accommodation and excellent tavernas. The beach is pebbly so you will need beach shoes.. Nearby Stoupa has more of a package resort, British feel about it and the beach gets packed in high season, but is still low-key and traditional and has good sandy beaches.

In Messinia you could try the small resorts of Chrani or Finikounda. Or for a traditional Greek small town with a good, sandy beach and no mass tourism at all, try Koroni. Or the tiny village of Gialova has some good accommodation, excellent tavernas and a fabulous long, sandy beach.

If you want a package Sunvil has good options in the area. www.sunvil.co.uk/holidays/greece/peloponnese

It would be a great shame not to hire a car and see a bit more of the Peloponnese but if you really don't want to, you could get a taxi between these places or even do it by bus via Kalamata.

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
789 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

Hi Billy, and thanks for your advice on the Crete Forums (and sorry about the playoffs !).

We have a favourite place in Kardamili at the Liakoto, sister property of Anniska. If you look at my posts and their reviews, you will see why. Stoupa, just a few km along the coast is similar to my memories of Giourgiopolis, whereas Kardamili is quieter, which we prefer, and we also prefer the quiet, pebbly beach.

Anyway, have a read into Kardamili and Liakoto and let me know if you have any questions. We have never hired a car there, and travelled about on the local bus no problem at all - Kalamata, Stoupa, Areopoli, Agios Nikolaos etc.

Level Contributor
3,452 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

Hello, First can you define Summer, as you appear to be flexible in your hols , I would avoid any coastal area in Greece in the second two week of July, August and the first week of September. Thats when the Brits, Greeks and Italians are on holiday ,lovely people , but rather noisy. I suspect the same applies to Italy and Spain..

As usual I agree with much of the Bristolians post . www.ktelmessinias.gr will give you the local bus timetable. From the airport all the buses going north go to Kalamata bus station , the bus hub,which is at the north end of the town. South from the airport , buses go to Koroni, Messini, Pylos . There are plenty of taxis.

Chrani is a pleasant , quiet touristy hamlet , a good uncrowded beach , five good tavernas and a pleasant cafe.Six buses each way a day between Kalamata and Koroni. On the Ionian coast there's Pylos, Finikunda, Gialova .Great places to stay, but you'll need a car for a few days (maybe three days ) to visit Ancient Messini , Methoni and other interesting places. While the buses go everywhere , they're for the locals going to work and shopping , so not very easy for sight seeing. Have a good time.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

Thanks all for your help - food for thought - and killiefaetheferry, no problem regarding the Crete advise - we are back there next week! (Regarding the play -offs I'm getting used to the annual disappointment now!)

I'll do some research, and get back with more questions later.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Two Centre Holiday in Peloponnese.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16