We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monemvasia Questions

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Monemvasia Questions

Hello-

We will be spending 4 days in Nafplio and 4 days near Stoupa. Is Monemvasia worth a day trip? Would it make sense to visit on the drive between Nafplio and Stoupa, or would it be unwise to park our car in Monevasia with all of our luggage? Where do you park on a visit to Monevasia?

Thank you for your help.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monemvasia Questions

It's probably best use of your time if you visit Monemvasia en route to Stoupa. Driving times are roughly 3.5 hours Nafplio to Monemvasia by the quickest route and then another 2.5 to Stoupa going via Gythio and Areopoli.

Best place to park in Monemvasia is at the side of the road leading to the Kastro and you can usually find a spot within a couple of hundred metres or so of the gate unless it's a public holiday. It's perfectly safe to leave your car as there are always people around.

You'll probably be hungry when you get to Monemvasia and Matoula's is a good place to eat. I've not tried Kanoni next to the square but it has a new chef and I've hear good reports.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monemvasia Questions

The only problem with visiting Monemvasia on a day trip is that you might regret not having spent the night there; it's one of the most impressive towns on the Pelopponese, and an early morning walk to the top of the rock gives some spectacular views.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monemvasia Questions

I understand! My wife and I would like to do that sometime in the future, but for this trip with the four of us it is not in the cards, so we are wondering if it is still worth a day trip.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monemvasia Questions

Just want to warn Tyler that the upper town in Monemvasia is currently closed.. At least the main gate from the bottom town is (not sure if there aren't any other entrances). It is still a beautiful place from the bottom , but maybe you want to know in advance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Monemvasia Questions

spending a night in monemvasia castle is indeed a memorable experience..

monemvasia castle from inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVIHnGq-Sg

Brooktondale
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monemvasia Questions

As great of a place Monemvasia is I'm not sure it's worth going so far out of your way just to spend a couple hours there. You can certainly see the lower town in that amount of time but it's more of a place to "feel" as well as see. You probably wouldn't have time to properly see the upper town but that would be up to you as to how much you want to stretch out the day.

'On the other hand you are spending a good amount of time in the other 2 places so you may as well have a day with a lot of driving. It is a memorable place and a couple hours is better than nothing. While you're at it take the route via Leonidio. It's spectacular.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
574 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monemvasia Questions

Does anybody know if it is worthwhile to do a ferry from Nafplio to Monemvasia if there is one?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
574 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monemvasia Questions

#1 philhelline

Just want to confirm - 3.5 hrs driving from Napflio to Monemvasia?

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
755 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monemvasia Questions

3.5 hours sounds about right. So far as i know, there is no ferry from Nafplio

10. Re: Monemvasia Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese