We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Which Olympia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Hi,

I found that unlike the buses their are train timeables for Greece are online, I tried to find when trains leave from Athens to Olympia, but I can't find the city Olympia on the trains city list (www.ose.gr) am i going nuts?

Also, can anyone recomend the cheapest hotel in the area for one night. So far i found from 39 euro (and no place with dorms).

seems like olympia may truly be beyond my reach :-(

thanks for all the help,

dan

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Using the web site, I tried starting with Olympia and found it after selecting omicron from the alphabetic bar at the top of the departure station list. But when I tried to select an arrival station, there were only 7 letters on the alphabetic bar and the only city under alpha was Alphios (or something like that--I'm no expert with the Greek alphabet). If I didn't totally screw something up, my guess would be that there is no direct service between Athens and Olympia and that train service to Olympia is fairly limited.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it to Olympia during my trip to Greece, but if not, I'm aiming for Nemea as a consolation prize. (I was never good enough for the gold anyway.)

Susan

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Me again. I should have just done things the easy way to start with (I just can't resist playing with Greek web sites). I just checked my guide book and apparently you have to connect in Pyrgos.

Susan

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Well I made it to Olympia! So far it is well worth it.

There is a bus that leaves Terminal A at 9:30 and gets to Olympia around 3:30 (it was a long ride, but quite nice, went down the coast most of the way, going into a few cities to let people off). That gave me enfough time to drop my stuff in a Youth Hostel (one of which there is in Olympia, its a 5 min walk from the bus stop on the same street. You can't book it online, you can call 2644022580, it is 11 euros a night. Run by a nice older greek couple, only thing is their English is limited) and see the acutal Ancient ruins before they closed at 5:30 (I think its later in the summer), the only thing I didn't get to see was the archaeological museum which has most of the major remains and some models I believe. I hope to see it tomorrow morning.

If you are coming during the summer (when the msume stays open a bit later) then it seems to me you can really do this as [long[ day trip from Athens if you really want, there is a return bus at 9:30 PM I believe.

Now, I am looking at how to get out of here and on to the rest of my trip... I can't find on the Greek train website the times that trains run from Olympia to Corinth (because I can't find the city on the list of cities), can I assume all trains going from here to Corinth stop there?

Thanks for the help!

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains and hotels in Olympia.

Nevermind my question, I just realized ΑΛΦΕΙΟΣ is not athens.

5. Re: Trains and hotels in Olympia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 12:19