We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Olympia

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Olympia

Hello,

My family and I will be traveling to Greece this summer, mid-July, and we wanted to take a "day trip" to Olympia. It looks as though there are no longer trains scheduled to make this journey. Can someone please confirm this? And if there are no trains what is the best way of travel? Thank you in advance.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Olympia

"day trip"

Nearly 300km one way-

Driving time over 4hours one way

Quite a few different routes…

maps.google.co.uk/maps…

Pyrgos(sure there’s connections to Athens) is the nearest railway station to Olympia, then a taxi for the reminding 15km…

http://www.ose.gr/en/Home.aspx

*I’m assuming your traveling from Athens-u don’t say*

Edited: 05 May 2012, 13:25
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Olympia

yes u do sorry

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Olympia

There is no train to Pyrgos from Athens any more, bus only if you don't drive I'm afraid, then a local bus, or train, to Olympia.

I would not do this as a day trip, long travelling time to do both ways in one day, especially by bus (5hrs each way approx), therefore not much time at Olympia.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Olympia

Hi,

As suggested above it is a long journey for one day. However, do note that the first express bus from Athens leaves at 07.30 for Pyrgos and the last bus back from Pyrgos to Athens departs at 00.30.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Olympia

Thank you all! I failed to mention we will be spending one night. We were hoping to get there mid afternoon see one or two sites and then head back to Athens the next afternoon. Thanks again for all of your help.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Olympia

Hi,

Bus schedule Athens to Pyrgos:

ktelileias.gr/index.php/…pyrgos-athina

There are local buses from there to Olympia:

ktelileias.gr/index.php/…pyrgos-olympia

Enjoy your time.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 17:19
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
240 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Olympia

it's really a long journey from Athens to Olympia. Roads are not fast ones and it could be very hot and tiring. Sleepin one night in Olympia is a very good idea. Seaside is not far, for a rest at the end of the day, and also the village of Olympia (after tourists have gone away) is quiet.

Athens
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Olympia

I am involved with the S.A. Athletics Federation and quite often I have the pleasure to entertain friends and colleagues that want to visit Olympia. I am too old to drive and it is the third time that I went to Olympia with the same Athenian T.O. and every time the trip gets easier. With a stop at Corinth canal the trip took under 4 hours and the non-stop return it took us 3.15 hours. Why don't you rent a car? The cost of a medium size car including the car hire money, fuel and road tolls will come to +/- 200.00 euro. If you drive out of Athens early you will avoid the traffic and you will return to Athens +/- 20.00. It's the easiest way to do the one day trip. The bus follows a different route and takes too long.

9. Re: Athens to Olympia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:17