We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Greece day trip

Sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Greece day trip

Hie

I was attempting an ATEHNS to Olympia day trip in the first week of April. I googled all the information and contacted Astoria Travel as they seem to be all over google and what it lead to but the reply was extremely brusque, rude and honestly, very off putting for me to deal with them.

That having been said, I wanted to double check or just call out to see if anyone could advice me how I can do this in one day which while rushed is possible? And if so how?

Any details would be highly appreciated. I am a budget traveler so joining a tour is even cool for me

Thanks!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

There are no organised day trips between Athens and Olympia (too long distance).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

as already greek-travell mentioned there is not a day tour to Olympia from Athens, it is more than 3 hours driving by car

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

Is it rock solid you want to do it as a day trip? It will be a long trip and will get you there in not good timing for sightseeing,when it will be quite hot. First week of April may not be that bad, still isn't there a possibility to do it as an overnight?

I don't think you 'll find a day tour to Olympia. It wouldn't work well really. Tour leaders want to get their passengers as early as possible to the sites.

If you definitely want to strees it that much and do it as a day trip, then taking a KTEl bus from Athens early morning is one option. First bus leaves Athens at 07.00am only down to Amaliada, then it's an xpress bus that will do the ride faster, departing at 07.30am. This is the time most tour passengers are getting their breakfast to walk to the site / you 'll have to start from Athens, that's 200 - 205 miles distance to the site and a 3 - 4 hours bus ride that will get you there around 11.30am.

Last bus is leaving at 5.15pm, while you also have a 7pm on Sundays and a 00.30am daily.

Athens -> Pyrgos buses, except the 7pm and 10pm offer a connection to Ancient Olympia at Pyrgos.

-------------------------------

Another alternative can be to self drive it. This will give you the opportunity to make it a bit faster, going through Arkadia, instead of going all the way around the Northern coast of the Peloponnese which is what the bus does. I guess, you should rent a car prior night, park it somewhere and depart from Athens at around 6am ( yes, this will give a good kickstart, getting you to Olympia pretty eralier than the bus, i guess you 'll arrive around 9am ). Then starting driving back anytime you wish.

-------------------------------

I have done daily trips to Kalamata in the past which is a similar task; it's a long day and a tiresome one. Nevertheless, if this is what you want, then you should go for it. Nevertheless, if you pick the "day trip" option plan accordingly and deaprt early, otherwise you 'll arrive in the worst timing. There is no way to make this an easy trip or shrink the distance, so if you do it as a day trip, consider renting a car and doing it starting early from Athens to diminish the distance factor and avoid any morning rush hour that would prolong the trip by 60 minutes just like that :)

Buses: http://tinyurl.com/b32vdte

Sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

Hie..Thank you for such detailed responses...do no trains go from Athens to any place close to Olympia?

Athens, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

I decided to get involved in your post, not as the lawyer for the company (my profession), but as a member of the family. My grand father, the founder of Astoria Travel, in September 20, 1926, was employed in a travel agency, and established Astoria Travel, in Oct. 1958 (55 years ago). My uncle, the person you are talking about, took over the management of the travel agency March 1974 (39 years ago) and is still involved in the agency. A fair estimation proves that more than 500,000 people, have used the agency’s services since then, and the agency is still operating, offering excellent personal service, and prospering. Isn’t odd that you are one, and they are more than 500,000?

You mention that you contacted my uncle regarding the tour to Olympia when he makes clear that these tours are private tours for families and small groups. He doesn’t gather people to form a group. This year, he doesn’t even accept to do the tour for couples except under one condition. I expect that he rejected your request, and rejection is not the nicest feeling.

I suggest that we let the readers interested to take the tour, be the judges of his personality, and the way he responds to questions and requests, and afterwards write a comment in your post .

Edited: 14 May 2013, 14:23
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

You really need to bear in mind cultural and linguistic differences. If you spoke on the phone, Greek intonation, accent and phrasing can sometimes come across as brusque or rude to those who are not used to it. You will often hear a conversation between two or more Greek people and to our ears it sounds as if they are having a violent argument, but in fact it is just a normal, animated conversation.

In English speaking countries we are usually quite softly spoken to strangers and use lots of those little apologetic phrases like saying "I'm sorry but..." or "Unfortunately...". This is not the way in Greek, it is not rudeness just a different culture and language

If you corresponded by email some of the above still applies, it's a language issue whereby things are expressed differently from what you are used to.

In the same way I've known people take offence when they ask a Greek person a question and in response they get a shrug with raised eyebrows and backwards flick of the head, sometimes with a little "tsk" sound. This is just the standard Greek way of saying no, it is not rude.

So It's very likely this travel agent was simply telling you that he could not meet your requirements.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 15:48
Athens, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

My Uncle's English is still quite good. He has a Master's degree from a South African University. He is not making his living from these tours. He does them because he enjoys them. I know, since I drew the contracts, that he was very stressed with a congress and he rejected all the requests for such tours in April. He didn't feel that he had to say to everybody the reason why he did not do them. As far as I know he does not take single travellers. The tour is pretty expensive in fuel and tolls and it is a long day for him. He organizes them from 3 or more passengers. For him, ancient Olympia was a sanctuary and it must be treated as such. Difficult to change him now. By the way, the drive to Delphi on the tour bus is 2.50 hours and to Olympia it takes only 3.15 hours. Just about the same.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 17:37
8. Re: Athens to Greece day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:18