We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pierre De Coubertin monument

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Pierre De Coubertin monument

Hi, can someone please give me directions on how to find this monument outside Olympia. I've seen the guidance that says "The bust itself stands just off the main road east of the ancient site" - but i'm looking for something more accurate than this as I can't make any sense of this when looking at Google Maps.

Also - some indication of how far it is from the archeological site. Thanks.

Athens
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pierre De Coubertin monument

The monument, with his heart burried in its base, is inside the I.O.A, grounds. From the ticket office you walk straight ahead until you see the I.O.A. sign, above the ancient Stadium. Unfortunately the iron gate of the International Olympic Academy grounds is always locked, and from the gate you can see the monument at the end of the path, but it is too far to take a picture. I am one of the guys that I would like the monument of De Coubertin in the middle of the modern Olympia town, so that everybody would pay respects to the guy that had the idea of reviving the Games and died bankrupt, after spending all his money in his dream.

Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pierre De Coubertin monument

Hi, thank you so much for your message.

I've just returned from my holiday and your directions were great.

We were very lucky as the gates were unlocked when we walked up there. There was a big tour group due later in the day and the gates had already been opened! So, so lucky!

It was great to be able to get close up to the monument. A very moving experience for a sports fan like me.

Thanks again.

3. Re: Pierre De Coubertin monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:18