We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Athens to Olympia

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Athens to Olympia

Approximately how long does it take to drive from Athens to Olympia? Which is the most scenic route and are there any special stops we should make along the way?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Central Cali
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Athens to Olympia

Hi there, I did the drive from Athens to Olympia and I got my directions from the Hotel Kronio website, which, is a good place to stay in Olympia if you are looking to spend more than just a day there. Anyway, the directions are as follows:

There are two routes available if your starting point is Athens. The first is through Patras (334km). This is the road used by most travellers because it is close to the sea . All you have to choose is the direction of Patras, then follow on to Pyrgos, and then Olympia. The second one is through Tripoli (323km). This route will take you through the mountains of Korinthia, and then down hill from there through the mountains of Arkadia. This trip is more demanding but it is a very beautiful road to travel.

If you have any questions about the Olympia area I would be *more* than happy to vicariously relive my trip again!

~ brandy

brandyleebell@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Hotel Kronio
Hotel Kronio
475 Reviews
Olympia, Greece
Patras
Patras
Achaea Region, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Athens to Olympia

How long does this trip take?

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Athens to Olympia

Depending on where you start your trip in Athens, and if you choose the scenic route, I would say you need less than 2 hours from Athens to the Artemission tunnel, and after the tunnel you follow the signs towards Olympia, you would need another 3- 31/2 hours from there, depending on the number and duration of stops. I would suggest one long stop in Vitina and a shorter one in Laggadia.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
4. Re: Driving from Athens to Olympia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:25