We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Topic
Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Hi,

My husband and I are trying to decide where to stay in Saronic Gulf so please let me know if you have any suggestions for which hotel, resort, island etc you think is best. Also, any recommendations for places to eat and drink are welcome.

We're going mid-September.

We're looking for somewhere to chill out in pretty surroundings. The idea of a cheap Mythos beer beside a pool appeals to us - the cheap bit is quite important. We don't mind paying for accommodation but prefer places we can eat and drink cheaply. The reason I mention cost is that I've heard Spetses and Hydra are expensive.

Also, we'd like to visit Mycenae and Epidaurus if possible.

Thanks very much.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Poros is a fun island, Angistri (aka Agistri) is small but if you just want to chill by a beach (don't know if any place has a pool), that's where we go. Nice water, near Athens. Lots of Brits go there as well.

Methana, which is a peninsula jutting into the Argosaronic and serviced by the boats that do the Argosaronic run, is very cheap, catering mainly to pensioners who go for the therapeutic baths there. But again, don't know about hotels with pools or even if the beach at the port is any good. Do a hotel search in those places and see what comes up.

As for getting to Mycenae/Epidavros, dunno. Maybe on a tour from Athens? When you find a place, maybe ask at the hotel.

Good luck.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

aegina hydra aggistri are the obvious choices

also if interested in mycanae and Epidaurus you may like to stick to the mainland and perhaps peloponesse- nauplio/tolo or loutraki areas

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Hi

I've stayed on both Spetses and Poros in the last 5 years, both times on a tightish budget (single mum with 2 young daughters).

We had lovely holidays on both islands (lovely for us = small, pretty beaches backed by pine trees and simple and reasonably priced meals in the evenings).

Mid September, things will be winding down anyway after the height of Summer. On both occasions we went in August, as I teach, so have no option on when I take my holidays - but even in high Summer both islands were not overcrowded, although as stated Poros being closer to Athens has more day trip visitors.

I remember in Spetses that we would just walk down to the harbour in the morning and hop on a boat to a beach, whereas in Poros we would hop on & off buses to various beaches. In Spetses you can also catch the ferry to Kosta on the Peloponnese and in Poros the village of Galatas on the Peloponnese is reached in about 10mins. Not sure about day trips to the classical sites as I didn't think it was wise with 2 small kids in the August heat, but as far as I know they are easy to arrange with the travel agencies around the ports.

This year we are going to stay on Agistri which is about an hour from Athens for a couple of nights before heading back to Piraeus and on to the Little Cyclades.

The Saronic Gulf islands do seem reasonable compared to the main Cyclades islands and others and I would recommend both Spetses and Poros, if you are wanting a quiet relaxing holiday. We have warm memories of both.

Hope that helps!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

I agree with the recommendation of Poros; I found it a very pleasant island, far less expensive than Spetses. Also, a good base for day trips to nearby islands. I stayed at Nicky's Villas (I think that's the name of the place), and they had a pool. Nearby was Matina's, an excellent restaurant on the water with a great view of the town.

A visit to Mycenae and Epidaurus is very easy - just catch one of the tenders to Galatas and rent a car. It's a beautiful drive and you can take in both sights, have lunch in Napflio, and be back in Poros by early evening.

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Thank you all for your detailed replies - I'm looking out at grey skies today and the descriptions sound fantastic, I can't wait to get there! I'm following up all your suggestions. The only one I haven't been able to find any information about is Angistri - there's nothing in my guide books about it. If anyone can give me any further info or recommendations for Angistri I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again all of you.

Agistri
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Agistri is a great place for relaxing by the pool and beach.

Its is inexpensive, and not over run. A lot of trees, great beaches and close. It is across from epidayros, so you can arrange a visit. also you can take day trips to aegina, ydra spetses poros.

Agistri
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

agistri is the smallest of the saronic islands and the most natural. It has bike trails, 2 old villages, and great scenery. Scala is its main tourist area, and milos its second port. The beaches are fantastic, super clean. Dragonera is my fave. small, natural and accesible. There are a couple of traditional taverans with amazing views too! there is a pool side hotel right on the beach of scala.I stayed there last year...it is fantastic! its called the Oasis. Very prety, and very friendly. and the pool is front side practicaly on the beach. We will be visiting soon again! And it is true a lot of Brits do frequent.

greece
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

hello

the saronic gulf gives you a variety and is far away from athens and at the same time,very quick to approach by hydrofoil.

aegina island has a mixture of classic sightseeeing,greek ambiente because many athenians have there summerhouses there.

agistri island has terrific nature,but a quiet dayly life with just a few essential shops.you find great beaches and ideal places to relax.

poros is a mixture of aegina and agistri,charming and lively.

hydra is worth visiting for a short stay,,,very beautiful,100% preserved.

spetse has it,s own charm,with great architecture and nice beaches.

have a look at www.specialplacestostay.com/maps/greece/index

there you find lovely places all over greece and of course the saronic gulf

have fun

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

Plug "agistri" (without the "n") in a google search, and you'll get info.

www.agistri.gr is the municipality website. not bad.

Good luck, it's a nice little island.

greece
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do you recommend in the Saronic Gulf?

forget the official site www.agistri.gr

it will be of interest at the end of the month because it,s beeing upgraded.....for the time beeing it,s slow and much info missing.

so keep an eye....

regards

Get answers to your questions about Saronic Gulf Islands