We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Is it possible to catch an early ferry or hydrafoil to Poros and have a look around and lunch and then catch a later ferry/hydrafoil on to Hydra? Are we able to do the same on the way back but with Aegina?

Thanks,

Fiona

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

In answer to your first question, yes although you may have to wait until around 6pm for a hydrofoil to Hydra.

Others may know better but I don't think that there are hydrofoils between Hydra and Aegina in which case you'd have to return to Poros and connect from there.

You may have to wait until a month or so before you travel for a definite answer.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Thank you. We are going in July so we will have to wait until June before timetables are published?

Fiona

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Will I be able to access the timetable on the internet closer to the date?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Hey and welcome Fimum:-) Keep an eye out at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ www.greekferries.gr/ Schedule availability varies since some are published up to a year in advance while other barely a couple of weeks ahead of time! Happy planning and EnjoY!

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

Thank you Litsa, even though the timetable for July is not published it does look like most hydrafoils call in at Poros before Hydra so we should be able to do what I'd hoped. We used to do it when we lived there 30 years ago but I was concerned with the ferries being virtually taken over by the hydrafoils that might have changed.

I will enjoy! I cannot wait..... I lived on Hydra for a while as a child, some of my earliest childhood memories are from there, I can remember my Christmas as a 4yo, playng with a toy helicopter looking out to sea from our stone terrace. We returned for a few months when I was 7. I went back just for a day trip when I was 15 which was a long time ago now, so I'm really excted to be able to go there with my husband and son. We are only staying 2 nights but that will be enough to walk over to Kamini and to walk through town looking for the two houses we stayed in .

Fiona

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

I got goosebumps reading that Fiona;-) I am more than certain you will find your way;-) I wish you the very, very best..and am trusting you will truly ENJOY!

7. Re: Can we stop in Poros on the way to Hydra? (m)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Saronic Gulf Islands