We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Aegina

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Aegina

Well, we have plenty time to organise a day trip as we will only be there in June 2010! I think, however, that renting a car (2 adults, 2 teenagers) for the day will be the way to go. My question/s are this:

Is it easy to hire a car when we arrive in Aegina? What would an approximate cost for the day be?

What few places would you recommend? We enjoy seeing the sites that a place has to offer (historical sites, little villages etc)but don't want to rush from place to place. A dip in the ocean would also be great!!

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Aegina

Hello!

Aegina might be a small island but has many sights. That means that you might not be able to do sightseeing and exploring and swimming in one day.

Now, in order to rent a car you will need an international driver's lisence.

In June 2009, you would pay 30-40 euros to rent a small car (Matiz, Atos) for one day.

It will be very easy to either go to the rental place, or even have someone to wait for you at the port.

The island is of course famous for the temple of Aphaia Athena but there's many more to see.

The Archaeological Museum odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh3540.jsp…

the site of Kolona http://www.aegina.com.gr/kolona/?lang=en, the Paleochora www.holidayshop.gr/contentsEn.asp… and the Cathedral of Saint Nektarios www.travel-to-aegina.com/place.php… are must-sees.

If you want something different, there's the shelter for wild animals http://www.faza-aegina.de/, the Markellos Tower which housed in 1826 Capodistrias' government and Camera Obscura (A cylindric house, with twelve openings: the light that enters the room produces a twelve part panorama image of the outside world, upside down and reversed on a semitransparent screen. This building was part of the Light & Image exibition which took place in may 2003).

A favourite of mine is the Christos Kapralos museum greeka.com/saronic/…

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Aegina

Thanks for the suggestions, TH13. With regards the car, would we need to pre-book it? (mid-June).

I will now have a look at your suggestions and I am sure there will lots more questions. Thanks!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Aegina

If you want a specific car or if you are going on a weekend, then I would advise to book in advance.

You might get a better price too!

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Aegina

Check this out, it's like a photo diary of a daytrip to Aegina :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36264706@N03/sets/72157621604646139/detail/

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Aegina

Lovely photos!

The church among the trees is the monastery of Agios Minas.

Alexandros fast boat is the one that'a going straight to Souvala and Agia Marina.

The cement city is the Peiraiki neighbourhood of Piraeus. Once upon a time it was the area that posh and rich people lived in. The view of the port from there is magnificent (especially during the night) and there are stilll some very good seafood tavernas.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Aegina

Lovely photies. Thanks for sharing them!

7. Re: Day trip to Aegina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 06:18