We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Hi, Everyone. I am about to book a hotel on Hydra as of March 21 or March 22. 2018. I have failed to find info about available ferries in March (very low season). Does everyone know when the ferries start going out from Pireaus to Hydra? I am afraid to book a hotel only to find out later that there are no ferries that early. Thanx, Svetlana

19 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

There are normally 3 feries a day at that time of year.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Hi,

As suggested, no worries, go ahead and book your hotel but do so nearer the time. Unless you are visiting at the weekend it will not be an issue.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Thank you, folks, I appreciate it.

Svetlana

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

How often do the ferries get canceled in late March due to weather? Our family is also considering going to Hydra in late March but we are afraid we could get stuck because of weather (and no flights from Hydra) and then miss our return flight to the U.S. (from Athens) after our 2 day excursion from Athens to Hydra?? Is anyone aware of this likelihood? Would it be better to go to an island like Santorini that has flights instead of ferries that time of year? Thanks in advance for your help!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Hi,

I have never known a ferry to Hydra to be cancelled in late March.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

HI, I've read a lot on the internet about the ferry to Hidra and it looks that there is a different route, the local ferry to the nearest mainland point (do not remember it's name) and then a car to the Athens airport (there are no busses). Though I do not think its a hundred per cent reliable... As for the Santorini/Athens ferry we once took it and it was four hours late due to weather conditions ...

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Hi,

I have travelled on ferries in October to the Cyclades which were late due to bad weather. I think it was 1997 which was a particularly bad year in terms of weather.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 08:24
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Last October I took the ferry from Andros to Rafina. The weather was cloudy and gale force winds! No problem (as the Greeks say) The ferry left on time, rode nicely on the rough water and arrived safely and on time in Rafina to blue sky and no wind!

I'm not saying everything works out that well . . . but the larger the ferry the more reliable and on-time it is!

TOLEDO
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

Did you find an answer? I also could not find reservations for Hydra ferry from Piraeus on March 28, 2018. I could find return reservation for April 1. But that's all. Will you go to Piraeus or another port?

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra

There is absolutely no need to book for a ferry in March.

Schedule for the period 23 March to 3 April: https:/…577

>>Will you go to Piraeus or another port?<<

If you are in Athens, Piraeus is the only port to get a ferry to Hydra. For another port you will have to go to the Peloponnese.

Reply to: March 2018 ferry Athens to Hydra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted