We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hydra worth visiting?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hydra worth visiting?

Hello,

My husband and I are considering visiting Hydra next year. I thought it would be nice to have a few days on an Island close to Athens to wind down after a long flight. We will then move to other Islands further away.

Hydra looks absolutely lovely. The guide books I have read give it very poor reviews. Its referred to as the "cash grabbing Island" and pretty much puts you off visiting. I would love to hear what it is actually like from people who have been there.

Is it worth visiting?

It certainly looks like it is!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

I'll have to disagree with the guidebooks and the poor reviews they are giving Hydra. It is an amazing island with a distinctive feel to itself. You won't find any autos on the island, a welcome respite from the hustle of Athens and many other islands which can seem to be overrun at certain times of year. It has a great nightlife, good shopping, and as you already have seen it is one of the most scenic of port towns in all of Greece. Prices have never seemed outrageous or overpriced to me, just do a bit of research for your lodgings and shop around when you're there, I think you'll find it quite reasonably priced compared to some other islands you'll visit later on in your visit. There are no pristine sandy beaches on the island, but you'll find ample swimming areas all over the island in scenic rocky coves. Hydra is also well connected to the Peloponnese via the Flying Dolphins/Cats to Ermioni 20-30 mins max, from there you are within 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours driving of the many historical and archaeological sites of the Argolis (Mycenae, Epidaurus, Tiryns, Corinth, Nafplio, etc...) Cheers and happy travels!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

Hi Greecetraveler,

Thank you so much for that helpful info! You have totally put my mind at rest. It looks so lovely and unique, so will definately put it on our list. As to prices for accommodation, I haven't found it too bad compared to other Islands, in fact its cheaper than alot. We were thinking of going here as soon as we arrive, instead of visiting Athens, which really doesn't interest me this time around.

It's also nice to know that you can visit the Peloponnese from here, as it really interests me also.

Cheers

Napa, California
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

We enjoyed Hydra in June and travelled there on a private boat which left from Tolo . . . we had been staying in Nauplio on the Peloponnese which we really loved. Hydra is beautiful and if you can get there a little off of the main tourist crush I think you would really like it. Just get off the main promenade a bit and enjoy a little slice of paradise:-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

Glad to be of assistance, you've got me a bit envious at this point I'll have to admit, wish I was there right now...I'll be looking for your future posts and post trip report! Cheers...

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

Hi --

We travel to Greece each year in the autumn and spend most of our time in Athens - however, we spend several weekends on Hydra which is a charming and comfortable place to visit.

We stay at Mistral, or at Phaedra - both B&B style guest houses and each of which I highly recommend. Clean, quiet, charming, comfortable, and with excellent bathrooms en suite. Each is a short walk to the harbour and to local tavernas.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. We always do.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my post and for all the helpful advice. So looking forward to visiting now, wish we were going this year. Can't wait!

HYDRA
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

Don't miss it,it is unique and not eveybody is like that.

8. Re: Is Hydra worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 07:17