We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

We're considering a week on Hydra in June with two young children. The plan is to rent a house in town and then a few nights in Athens on the way home. I've read reports both ways...that it's not a "baby" friendly island (strollers not much use etc), alternatively, it's a really relaxing place with children as no traffic to worry about. Looking for opinions, and if positive, recommendations. We aren't really a beach family so that's not a problem...an hour or so paddling a day is fine. We're happy to walk as far as the kids will allow (backpack carrier for the youngest) and enjoy eating out if they're being well behaved(!). I guess I should ask similar questions in the Athens forum, but if anyone has any advice of that too would be great. We've never been to Greece at all so this is exciting, but a little daunting too. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hydra
Hydra
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

hi and welcome..

check naxos as another option..this is a beautiful trip report and photos from naxos..st.george beach is shallow,so good for children and only 10 minures' walk from naxos town.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189431-i1324-k6…

Edited: 14 February 2014, 13:14
Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
594 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

I love the swimming off the rocks in Hydra, close to the town - but it's diving off right into deep water... Not suitable for little 'uns. We also used to walk around to a (rather gravelly) beach, but if my memory serves me correct the path wouldn't be terribly stroller friendly, and I think the beach shelved quickly.

I'd recommend either Spetses or, even better, Poros... One island further on from Hydra. Yes, there's traffic, but not much, a reasonable bus service and, most importantly, sandy beaches perfect for kids.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 13:21
Mentioned in this post
Hydra
Hydra
Poros
Poros
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

Hydra has one of the most beautiful waterfronts in all of Greece. But it's more for adults than little children. Nothing terrible goes on there that kids would be horrified by but it's a lot of uphill walking from the waterfront, no real beaches to speak of, no agriculture or archeological sites, but there is very good walking roads and trails to explore other parts of the island. Yes, no motorized vehicles to dodge and the donkeys are very charming and reminiscent of the "Old" Greece. Naxos would be a good alternative, Aegina which is even closer to Piraeus than Hydra would be a good choice for a nearby island with nice beaches, archeological sites, the Pistachio Capital of Greece and family friendly scene. Do a little research on nearby islands to Piraeus or keep asking questions here. You'll find a lot of experience travelers to Greece with lots of info.

Mentioned in this post
Hydra
Hydra
Greece
Greece
Europe
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

Thanks everyone, useful advice. I think we had come to similar conclusions that Hydra is probably best left until the children are older (or left home ;-)). I will certainly look into Naxos and other islands which might suit our current requirements better...and probably return with more questions!

Mentioned in this post
Hydra
Hydra
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
5. Re: A week on Hydra with two young children (3 and 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 16:17