We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Which Poros hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Can anybody recommend good cheap car hire where I can have 1 day full insurance Suzuki Jimny on hire from Poros town? Thankyou.

Jerry

Lake District
Level Contributor
138 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Didn't actually notice any car hire places on Poros last September - plenty of bikes and scooters etc. There are however at least 2 just across the channel in Galatas and regular car ferries to and fro taking just minutes - may even be the cheapest option anyway.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 22:35
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Thanks Crayfish.

I have heard the bus service is quite good so I may make do with that or even get the scooter. Thanks again.

Jerry

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Its not worth hiring a car to drive around Poros since it is only about 7 miles by 4 miles, most people hire scooters for a day or 2 to explore the island.

I would recommend Moto Stelios to hire scooters from who can be found in the centre of Poros Town and also in the resort of Askeli near the 2 central supermarkets. Scooters dont tend to cost more than €10 and quad bikes no more than €20-€25 depending on if they have reverse gear or not!?!

If your really hellbent on hiring a car, you can find a travel agent next to Georges Cafe in the centre of the resort who may be able to hire something like a Nissan Micra for the day for around €40.

I would recommend though, hiring a car from Galatas across from Poros from POPS CARS and exploring the likes of Epidavros and Naphlio further afield for the day. Dont forget Poros is only 200m or so away from the mainland Pelopanese.

if you want more information on Poros, there is a dedicated forum website at www.porosisland.co.uk

I hope this helps, enjoy your stay on this beautiful island!

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

I forgot to say also, yes the bus service is quite good at only €1 per trip and taxis are very reasonable also on the island.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Try Swift Car Hire... http://www.greektravel.com/swift/

Last summer, one of my nephews rented a Jeep from these folks and had it delivered to Poros by ferry... Not sure how the rates compare, but I know they serve the island.

Otherwise, ferry over to Galatas on the mainland, a five minute ferry ride from Poros, and see about getting a rental there.

Good luck!

Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

Thanks everyone for your help. I can see us doing a combined bus / scooter exploration of the island.

Jerry

7. Re: Car hire on Poros, Saronic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Poros