We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poros or Hydra

Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Poros or Hydra

We will be in Athens in July and would like to take a day trip to either Poros or Hydra. We will have my parents and two sons ages 11 and 13. Which island would be best? We will probably want some beach activities.

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poros or Hydra

I would definatley say Poros as Hydra is a little to far and hasn't got the beaches as easily accessible as Poros. Get off the boat and then get a short 3 min taxi ride to Love Bay

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,352 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poros or Hydra

Hi,

For beach activities you may be better off going to Aegina or Agistri, both of which are closer to Piraeus which is where the ferries depart from.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poros or Hydra

Poros is perfect for a one day trip. It's a pretty little island, with lots of trees (rare thing for Greek Islands), and the beaches are easily accessible. Hydra is more pictoresque but to reach the beaches you have to take a sea-taxi.

I say go to Poros.

Scotland
Level Contributor
269 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poros or Hydra

Hi jonny,

I would say poros, never been but I am going in july for a week, plus its not to far on the ferries from Athens, and the beaches look lovely ! but I am also staying in spetes for a week as well and I plan to go to hydra cause its meant to be lovely !

Edited: 20 June 2013, 10:51
Patras, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poros or Hydra

Poros is better but you need to find a bus/taxi to reach a beach (see reviews) from the ferry port. Hydra is over-rated and the local beaches are small and rocky unless you take a water-taxi. 'Love Bay' (invented name to catch the tourists) is small and sandy, 6.5 euros for 2 sun-loungers, table and umbrella, bar prices reasonable (except 2 euros for small Coke!). Beach is too small for volley-ball, etc.so just swimming or (need to check on this) perhaps time for an introduction course to Scuba diving which runs from the bay.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 11:28
6. Re: Poros or Hydra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Poros