We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Narberth...
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Trip Report for Skiathos and Skopelos 2010 (plus Athens)

We spent only five nights on each island, so if you have more time, you will be able to experience more than we did. We chose guest houses in town on both islands with bus, taxi, and boat trips out to the beaches each day.

High Points Skiathos:

Alonia-Manolis House in Skiathos Town – found on skiathosinfo.com. Clean and spacious rooms, beyond lovely gardens, cool (by which I mean groovy and refreshing) pool, and a gracious and appreciative host. The rooms with kitchenette were very reasonable (65e). While the studios are quiet and beautiful, the street is not very pretty. But! It is close to the end of Papadiamantis Street, a short walk to Megali Ammos and bus stop number 4. Check out the pictures on Facebook or the site mentioned above.

Kanapitsa Beach and Taverna, including Cape Kanapitsa Hotel Suites Pool Bar – What a wonderful day. Bus stop number 12 or the water taxi from town. The taverna has some of the best food we had on the island and I would eat dinner there the next time we visited. The beach is very scenic and we ended the day with drinks and a dip at the Cape Kanapitsa hotel which has a spectacular view which I hope I will be dreaming about.

Calypso Boat Tour – so much fun! Swimming at Lalaria, visit to the Castro, stop for lunch and swim on the Pelion of Greece, and a short visit to Tsougrias Island. A good value.

Taverna Anemos – photo perfect view of the harbor, good food, nice atmosphere.

Taverna Alexandros – very good value, nice hosts, music, tasty food, pretty setting.

Pillow Hill – who could resist! Half price fancy cocktails, sitting on pillows, watching the multitudes walk by.

High Points Skopelos:

Skopelos Town – so pretty around every corner, beautiful houses, and gardens.

The people – I have never encountered such sweet, kind and thoughtful people, ever, anywhere.

Anna Restaurant – The best meal. Great service, nice garden setting, up above the port.

Glysteri Beach – boat, beach, and taverna are excellent! I had black fish my husband had goat. The water is beautiful.

Panormas Beach – feels like Greece to me. A choice of tavernas, no charge for the chaises and umbrella in front of Asterias taverna and we greatly enjoyed our lunch.

Gyro Pita square – I don’t know if that is the name but it is a square in Skopelos Town that has all restaurants around in a circle. So fun and lively. Everybody is happy.

Sandals – I bought the most excellent pair of sandals on the little street going up the hill next to Café En Plo just past the church.

Other notes in no particular order:

The bus on Skiathos is easy and convenient and frequent and somewhat crowded. You do not need exact change and they sell tickets on the bus.

The bus on Skopelos is not as frequent (bigger island) and you are packed in like sweaty sardines.

The beaches on Skiathos are closer together as it is a smaller island. On Skopelos we took taxis which were not too expensive.

Katerinas Wash and Dry in Skiathos Town. Excellent and cheap if you travel with small suitcases.

The bus from Alkyon Travel to Port of Constantinos does not have a bathroom, but it would have been good to know that it stops for 20 minutes at the half way point at a full service highway stop. MMMMmmmmm pastries. We also had enough time for coffee and refreshments at the port. On the return there is like five minutes between the ferry arrival and bus departure.

Pony rides on the Skopelos waterfront.

Skopelos seemed less touristy than Skiathos. Many more Greeks at the beaches and in the tavernas.

On Skopelos we stayed at Kir Sotos on the waterfront in Skopelos town. If you are on a budget (55e for 3) and can take care of yourself it is a very cool, very greek house. Wood floors, rooms on all different levels, a gorgeous courtyard with the big church just behind. With the shutters closed and air conditioning running it was quiet. It draws a frugal international crowd. For me I think I am ready for a better shower, bed, and daily housekeeping. So if you are cheap and flexible – go for it.

I saw some beautiful studios higher up the hill in town called ‘Rodani’. If anyone has stayed there email me or post a review.

Athens

Our third trip to Athens. We stayed at the Plaka Hotel. Very good value (120e for three including breakfast). Nice staff, clean, great location, the view from the rooftop bar is fantastic.

Acropolis Museum excellent!

Best meals/restaurants were Diogenes, Byzantino, and Gyro Pitas next to Monastariki Square (sp).

Disappointing – Plantanos, rude service, uninspired food.

Any questions post or email me.

Donna (Fritkis)

Narberth...
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

correction: I made a mistake on Skiathos - it was not Kanapitsa it was Nostos. Still bus stop 12 or water taxi from Skiathos town. Nostos Taverna and beach.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

A really nice review! I enjoyed the detail and personal impressions you included. Thanks for sharing! I hope you are also posting reviews of the hotels and restaurants. Come back and start planning your next trip soon.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,812 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Great review with lots of information - thanks for sharing !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Hey and welcome back Donna:-) Wow..how great to see another happy camper returning from the gem isles!! Appears they're getting a bit more popular here;-) Locals are definitely super friendly..but how couldn't they be living on such magical isles;-) That gyro place you're talking about must be the 'Tree Square' or Platanos (not in Athens!)..with the huge tree in the center and all the tables set around..love that place! Sounds like you had an absolute blast..and couldn't agree more w/you regarding Panormos... Asterias is a base for me and think he's got some of the best home-cooking on the isle;-) Guess you didn't make it over to Alonissos for the day?! Hard to tear yourself away, I know;-))

The bus/ferry combo is a great deal..not many buses in Greece though have 'facilities'..lol! I always enjoy that 'break' enroute as well..and when there are allot of buses making the break there, it's fun to watch everyone follow the driver back! Really great to hear all about it..especially all the little details..and bet you wished you had more time on each;-)) Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful trip here..wonderful read..and totally enjoyed!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

We too have just returned from the Sporades. Like you, we had the most wonderful time. Thanks so much for sharing.

Karen

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Great review, thanks for sharing.

Have stayed at Kyr Sotos, earlier this year,and would do so again, its cheap and cheerful traditional studios, Great location ...

Narberth...
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

thanks all. I want to add that the islands were not crowded, in fact empty compared to other years. It is a little sad to me, as the people are so friendly and enthusiastic. I know I don't have to 'sell' to the people on this forum but I do hope more visitors choose Greece.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Hey again Donna:-) Have heard similar in that the isles, in general, have less visitors than usual! For the most part, you went at a wonderful time..June is usually pretty mellow since the 'bulk' of travellers hit these isles mostly July/August! You're certainly right..no hard sell (no sell at all!) needed here;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Thanks for the great trip report & tips. We're meeting friends, who are sailing there from Italy, and we're going to sail the area for 3 weeks in Sept. None of us have been to that area before and are really looking forward to the trip. We're in the information gathering stage, and your post is a great help. Other suggestions are more than welcome!

Narberth...
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Skiathos & Skopelos (plus Athens)

Hi K-Mig,

We did not get to some of the more remote beaches that I had read about like Kechria on Skiathos which looked lovely.

In addition to the Trip Advisor experts, the island websites like skiathosinfo.com and skopelos.net have a lot of detail.

Donna