We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic/special places to eat

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic/special places to eat

Every island we've been to has had it's culinary gems, some hidden away, others not.

We enjoy good traditional Greek cuisine, including seafood, and we always try to seek out the more traditional family-run places.

We will be thoroughly exploring the whole of the island during our two week stay in June/July; so where would you recommend we eat in order to find those special dishes, day or night, 'town' or country....?

We're looking forward to reading your recommendations and the reasons why you think a place is great. Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Hey again Harley2000:-) I've only taken day trips to this gem of an isle from Skopelos and quite honestly, I've never had anything but wonderful fare no matter where I ended up feasting.. usually in Patitiri where there are a number of wonderful places all lined up behind the small beach there in Town;-) Up in Chora (the Old Town) there's also a stretch.. or small road .. at the very top with a couple of tavernas which are also excellent! Sorry, forget the names.. but do remember one place I visit every time without fail.. not only for their fabulous home-baked desserts.. but for the view.. it's called 'Hagiati'.. it's all the way on top.. end of the road.. you won't miss it;-) EnJOY!

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Hayiati - Yes, we were sat there having a drink last summer! Amazing views, lovely setting at the end of the street. We never ate there, as we had gone over to alonissos from Skopelos on the glass bottom boat, so time up at Chora was limited. We will definitely be spending some time there thanks Litza

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Sorry, I meant 'Litsa' :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

LOL!! No problem.. I get way worse than that;-o)) Actually, Hagiati is indeed more a café .. but they make their own desserts.. the gals/owners there are from Thessaloniki and make some wonderful locale specialties;-) I usually linger a while there.. the view from there is jaw-dropping;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Will certainly be enjoying it thanks Litsa

Any other recommendations gladly received!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Agree just love Hayati, always on my radar when on Alonissos. The great cakes, the view, the ambience. Well worth a visit.

Litsa, Thanks for advising of the owners Thessaloniki links. That's why the cakes are so good!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

..I would have guessed you knew they were from Salonika SL1?;-) I remember once they had just taken a cake out of the oven.. think it's called Rivani.. soaked with honey ~ sigh ~ and enjoyin'!

Bristol
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Hi. We visited 3 years ago. Can't remember the names of the restaurants but all the food on the island was great. It is hard to get a bad or expensive meal on Alonissos. Two that particularly stuck out were the little fish restaurant on the "main" road up through Patitiri, and the little one over the supermarket on the main square up in the old town.

Enjoy!

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

Thanks! I'm sure we will....

10. Re: Authentic/special places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 04:21
Get answers to your questions about Alonnisos
Recent Conversations