We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiathos

york
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
skiathos

staying in troulos in may. any tips for our 12 year old boy (places, activities etc). is there a small crazy golf course ? staying at maria-yannis studios , any comments please ! thanks baz

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skiathos

bazil62 you will probably get a better response on the Skiathos Bulletin Board at www.mfbb.net/skiathos/index.php…

blackburn uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skiathos

just been to skiathos myself. Found it to be a very quiet place with nothing to do. Very expensive island. Wouldnt go again

Skiathos
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: skiathos

leeguapo

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling Skiathos.

What were your expectations of the Island before you went?

I'd be interested to know as this will be our first time and although we've travelled extensively to most of the Greek Islands this year we really wanted somewhere so chilled you would become comotosed!

How much expensive?? What are u comparing it with?

blackburn uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skiathos

went on 1st of may. Wanted to go on a boat trip as you do. It cost £52 pounds each so didnt bother. Box of cornflakes £6. Prices are roughly 3 x those in UK. Everyone complained. Food on the island is poor quality which is weird for a mediteranian island. Troulos is dead. Read my recent review on holiday - truth.com. If u are going self catering i would strongly advise you to take your own breakfasts such as bread, jam, butter, coffee, sugar, noodles etc.

blackburn uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: skiathos

sorry. my review is under La luna

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: skiathos

leequapo

You went the very first week of the season (were you aware of this?) so I'm not surprised that it was quiet in Troulos!

We went 8/5/09, stayed in Skiathos Town, it was reasonably busy but we did find that a lot of the island's beaches hadn't got sunbeds and brollies out when we were there.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the food, we had some really good food, we're old hands at Greek Islands so we know what we're talking about.

Did you do any checking before you booked and then did you ask for advice before you went? Always a good idea, there's lot of good people to offer advice.

Although I agree that it's not the cheapest Greek island, it was actually less expensive than we expected after visiting Zante last year and Corfu in 2007 and our last visit to Skiathos in 2005.

Noodles for breakfast?

blackburn uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: skiathos

Yes i always do my homework. I asked our travel company First choice who assured me that everything would be open for business - they lied. Even if the place was busy i still wouldnt of liked it. We spoke to lots of other people who felt the same. I have travelled to most of the greek islands and disliked this most (after Zante).

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skiathos

It is a shame that you didn't enjoy your holiday but if you'd done your homework on here instead of taking Travel Agent or Tour Operator advice you may have got a more balanced view of Skiathos & Troulos.

I just wondered what's your favourite island (and why)?

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: skiathos

leeguapo has made a fair point here. The island has been the quietest I have known it in May and as he has said a lot of places both in Town and around the coastal resorts did not open as early as usual.

Not only were tavernas opening later but also some accommodations were still closed; I don't know whether this has been a knock-on affect from the XL/Kosmar collapse at the end of last season or not from which the island suffered greatly.

There were far fewer visitors with many planes not going out full as they have in the past and this was particularly noticeable in the Town.

However, the island is as beautiful as ever and very green from the winter rains, the weather was glorious, the sea was crystal clear and the welcome from the lovely people of Skiathos was heartwarming.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: skiathos

My husband has been in Skiathos a few times recently and he says it's noticeable that things are a lot quieter than last year and businesses are taking longer to open. Different story in Skopelos though where it is considerably busier than this time last year and visitor numbers are up by approx 40% according to local agents!

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos