We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Am looking to visit Skiathos for the first time during the first week in June, for a week.

This will be my first holiday in Greece since lads holidays in Kos in late 90's though friends who have visited tell me it is a beautiful, quiet place without hordes of Brits getting trashed and partying til 5am or hundreds of screaming kids. As I am looking for a chilled out week please tell me if it is going that way and I will avoid like the plague.

Assuming it is as idyllic as people say, where is best to stay ?

Am looking for good quality accommodation, ideally with a view of the sea and with good places to eat within walking distance ( though the latter is not critical if the accommodation is top notch )

I am not immediately attracted to the idea of staying in Skiathos town, just in case it is noisy. I understand that some places ( ? Kanapista ? any others ? ) are very quiet and you can get a water taxi over to Skiathos town to eat for about 3 euro each. If that is right, what time do the taxis run until? How expensive are cabs ?

Hotel la Piscine looks good on Trip Advisor Reviews - has anyone been and if so what is it like ?

All other places to stay recs welcome.

Also is it best to travel independently and book independently or go through a travel agent. If so, who is best on that score?

If we hire a car should we sort this before we travel over there or is it best to do it on the hoof ?

Finally where is absolute best place to eat for authentic Greek food with a great view ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Level Contributor
1,702 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Just a suggestion from someone who is not Au Fait with Skiathos [ but hopes to be soon] - input Villa Apollon into Trip Advisor. Then you will see that this has a No 1 rating and you can read about 60 reviews and there are many pictures to view as well.

If the Villa is perhaps not what you are looking for, there is a large hotel in the same area, Achladies, the Hotel Esperides, right on the beach and the water taxi picks up from here. This Hotel has an excellent website so you can get info about it. Not a great distance to walk into Skisthos from this bay either.

Happy Hunting

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Hi Willowan68

Welcome back to Greece, and to Skiathos which awaits you!

Good suggestion from Pinkygirl8 for Achladies accomodation, the hotel is right on the beach where the water taxi operates, however the villa is quite a way away, and up the steep hill.

Good tavernas in the area, including the Rose Garden and the Paradise taverna by the hotel. The food at the Appolon is legendary, the captain runs a well fed ship. Water taxis run until about 11pm, Its quite a walk into town if you like a stroll :))

Hotel la Piscine is on the outskirts of town, near the ring road, no sea views but see its website for details on the accomodation. Its a good 10-15 minute walk to the centre of town and harbour area. This hotel is fully equipped for anyone with mobility issues.

Car hire arrange before you go, Mustang or Victoria will be good places to contact via www.Skiathosinfo.com

Authentic food with a view best place to ask is the Bulletin Board Restaurant forum www.mfbb.net/skiathos/viewforum.php…

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

We've just had the most relaxing week ever at the Bougangiani Appts in Troulos. No sea view but a nice stroll to what we think is the best beach on the island. They dont have a restaurant but bar food and we have never had such a chilled time.

Thought the road would be a problem but wasnt. Apartments basic but very clean every day. Gardens, pool, bar and hosts 2nd to none. Nicely between beach and good restaurants.

Buses run every 30 minutes, but taxis stop to haggle to take you into town when they are going back - we usually paid 4 or 5 euros which is cents more than a bus for 2.

Good fish restaurant in old town near fish market up top of slope. Family run, huge portions, good prices.

Skiathos town very noisy! but good to visit. Troulos Bay hotel is right on the beach with an amazing view at the end of a cul de sac.

Hope this helps

Level Contributor
344 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Skiathos is as your friends describe. It is not Brit dominated - it attracts quite a cosmopolitan mix. Skiathos Town is great - just the right amount of activity to make it interesting but I wouldn't describe it as noisy.

However if you want a relaxing holiday I would suggest that you stay somewhere outside of town and then head into town in the evening and enjoy the atmosphere. Anywhere along the coast will be fairly quiet.

Cabs are quite expensive in my opinion ( it depends how much money you have!), but the local bus service is very frequent and runs until at least 1am.

There are lots of restaurants where you will get good Greek food -it's just a matter of choosing the right thing from the menu. Every one's recommendations will be different - just go out and find your own favourites. I think you will enjoy Skiathos.

Atherton, Manchester
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

Hello Willowan68,

If you are looking for excellent accommodation, good food, near to a beautiful beach, fantastic atmosphere, where you will meet wonderful people then please go to the Villa Apollon.

Rated number one of hotels reviewed on Trip Advisor and for very good reason. Take a look at the reviews and make your mind up.

We went to the Apollon last year and are returning this year (never done this before, even though the holiday has been brilliant). The Apollon is just the ultimate place to stay. Achladies is just the best chill out place, beautiful beach and numerous tavernas to eat in. The Apollon is a place that is hard to leave, to explore, because everything is just so perfect. If you can wrench yourself away, then the water taxi from the beach to the town is a great way to travel, the bus service is excellent and also the taxis (which can be ordered by Dounia) are first class.

You will make friends from day one, the hosts, Captain and Dounia will make such an impression that you will feel that they are family. I cannot say how good the Apollon is ............ try it for yourself and you will be smitten!

Wherever you stay, have a wonderful holiday, not hard to do on Skiathos.

Jean and John (Apollon Fans forever) x

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

I can't add too much from what has been said except we are returning to Skiathos for the sixth time this July. We have been in June on all previous occasions and found the island busy enough without being overbearing. As you're going early June and want somewhere quiet Koukounaries is the place we stay. You won't get a sea view from anywhere other than the Palace hotel. We stay in apartments S/c and find that suits us. There are so many place to eat and you will find yourself swopping notes with others. Mustang are good for car hire. Book from home its a lot better and cheaper.

Beaches on the west include Koukounaries - big and beautiful. Do not sit on the first set of sunbeds as 'off the boat tourists' come in their droves early afternoon and occupy the same. Aghia Eleni smaller and quieter (our favourite). Banana - Big and Little. Go to Little if your a naturist. In the middle of Big if you wear swimming cozzie! Mandraki is nice but a fair old walk. Best thing I can advise is use this trip as an exploratory one and then go back and do a fortnight. Whatever you do enjoy it.

7. Re: First time in Skiathos - ' best of' recommendations please !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 05:36
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos