We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Skiathos

nottingham
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternatives to Skiathos

Hi,

I am looking at booking my hols for next year, me and my boyfriend have been to Skiathos for past couple of years and really loved it but we are looking at somewhere new this year so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I have had a quick look at Thasos and Lefkas, so just wonderring if they are anything like Skiathos and if anyone else had any other suggestions.

We are not looking for anything really lively - just want nice beaches and some nice tavernas.

Thanks in advance

Sarah :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Hey and welcome Sarah:-) Have you looked 'next door' to the isle of Skopelos?! Check out www.skopelosweb.gr/ Ticks off all on your 'want list'..beautiful beaches, great waterside tavernas..mellow isle for the most part! Happy planning..and Enjoy!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Hi Sarah

I've been to both Thassos (Thassos Town) and Lefkas (Nidri) and of the two I much preferred Thassos. The resort of Nidri I found a little tacky, the beach is a thin strip of shingle/sand but the scenery is wonderful and it is great for hiring a boat for a spot of DIY sailing!

I like harbour towns and Thassos fit the bill well although still not a match for Skiathos Town IMO. There is a good town beach, plenty tavernas, a good bus service and a short boat trip takes you to Golden Beach which is as it says with a magnificent mountain backdrop. Generally I would say Thassos is a friendly place with a nice atomosphere.

Maybe if Gasman sees your post he will reply as I believe he has visited both places too.

nottingham
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Thanks for your advice. We went to skopelos on a day trip - not sure i'd want to stay for 2 weeks though, not sure there would be enough to do.

Thats the other thing i am worried about - if we do go somewhere else will we like it as much. We really do love Skiathos but have heard it has become more crowded and expensive after mamma mia.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Skiathos is always extremely busy in July and August when the island can be packed to the rafters with lots of nationalities taking their annual holidays. This year it seems it was THE place to be seen by the young folks from the mainland.

The island has always been a tad more expensive than other isles and I don't think this will change - not sure if any of this was due to the Mamma Mia affect really as Skolelos was the starring isle.

It is hard to know whether you will like anywhere else as much but that's how we found Skiathos by trying a different island each year and by doing a bit of island hopping. Like you, I've been wondering if there is anywhere on Crete that I would like as much - I just have a thing about going there as I want to visit Spinalonga.

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
915 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Yes Mrs W i have been to both Lefkas and Thassos.

I'm with you Thassos is the one for us as well. It has lots to offer ie mountain villages ,beach resorts and Liminas (Thassos town) which is a little bit like Skiathos town but not as picturesque . Liminas has lots of ancient ruins and an amphitheatre which over looks the town.

It is a little bit cheaper its about 5-10% cheaper.

We went 1st 2 weeks of Sept this year . The1st week was flag cracking weather the2nd we had rain(not really heavy) on 2 days and it was a lot cooler but still nice.

We have not been back to Skiathos since 2007 (we were ther during the filming of Mama Mia) and like you we are trying other islands to see what else matches the feel you get when in Skiathos (Thassos comes close)

Hope this helps.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Hi Sarah- not an island but have you checked out Parga ?

Quite a few people compare it with Skiathos/Skopelos- lively at night, beaches close by and lots of different nationalities.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Hey again Sarah..and can totally relate to the 'unknown' factor once you've found something you 'know' and love;-) As far as not being sure if Skopelos would have enough to do..bear in mind it's about 3 times the size of Skiathos..and if you get 'homesick', you can always ferry back across;-)) Although I've been to Thasos, it's been some time now so can't really comment..what I do remember well, is how green it was..Love those green isles! Let us know how the planning goes..keep enjoyin'!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

I agree with ChrissieH Parga is a good alternative to Skiathos it's a lovely town, plenty of accommodation and good eateries and you can take the ferry over to the stunning small island of Paxos. We stayed at Valtos Beach which is just over the headland or a short boat taxi trip from Parga. A stroll along the harbour front at night, then a stop for some tasty food followed by a night cap - very nice.

Thanks Gasman for your post and excellent advice as usual.

Hi Litsa, Happy Christmas x

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

What is better alternative to Skiahtos than Skopelos..?

In the same team of the islands but quiet different.....Skopelos is relaxing with endless choies of beaches and beautifull towns, it is also not so much touristic developed as Skiathos ..

as an alternative out of Aegean sea I would also suggest Paxos....

Edited: 16 December 2009, 19:52
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternatives to Skiathos

Yes Paxos is beautiful but might be a little too quiet for some for a two week holiday.

Patmos is another delightful small island accessible via Samos or Kos.

Also, I would consider Naoussa on Paros (via Mykonos) and a friend highly recommends Naxos - so much choice - plenty winter reading for you before you make up your mind, good luck.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos
Recent Conversations