We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamma Mia island

england
Level Contributor
693 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mamma Mia island

Hi We won't to vist this island (we are staying in Troulos) .What is the best way , organised trip or bus to skiathos town ferry then taxi. Anyone done it on their own, how easy is it ,is it better on a organised trip.Could someone give me an idea of cost.A trip review off someone that's going the start of the Season would be even better.I do hope people start traveling to skiathos soon so I can read there views on the island.its great to have upto date feedback 15 weeks till we go seams such a long time .

Thanks in advance Sally

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamma Mia island

By day trip from the harbour, cost around €30, more through your tour operator.

Ferry to Glossa then taxi, last year the taxis were charging €20-€30 for the return trip

1st UK direct flight arrives 1st May, many brits on their way here for Greek Easter next weekend.

Plenty of previous trip reviews for previous years on the Bulletin Board, you have to be a member to access the full database

iqeal.com/skiathos/index.php?mforum=skiathos

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamma Mia island

there are daily boat trips to Skopelos from the habour,you have a choice. To be honest the're disappointing. You can get a feel for Mama Mia on skiathos ,part of the film was filmed there,check out the old harbour(where the cannon is) and go up to the Clock tower (lots of steps)

I am planning to make my own way to Skopelos to see the church(not on any trip) when i go in september.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamma Mia island

Hey and welcome Sally:-) Mama Mia was filmed primarily in 3 locations..Skiathos, Skopelos and in the Pelion! A majority of the isle scenes were indeed filmed in Skopelos hence getting the name of 'Mama Mia Island'! The best way, IMO, to get to see the places on film, is to rent a car for the day and head out to the various locales..other than the infamous Church scene at Aghios Yiannis..there's Agnondas where they filmed the 'flipper scene/jumping in water..Kastani beach where if you were there during the filming and beaching it at neighborhing Mylies, you could hear them singing/rehearsing;-) The beach was closed to public during the time..they were on the isle all the time I was there for the month of Sept.. the boat used for the 'In A Rich Man's World' scene was pretty much docked that entire month in Agnondas!

I don't know where the excursion boat that leaves from Skiathos goes, but do know that they often stopped at Panormos Beach where you could hear the Abba music as the vessel made the turn into the bay! Appeared to be a quick lunch stop at one of the beachfront tavernas with a chance for a quick dip! The isle is not that large..about 3 times the size of Skiathos..and takes approx 1 hour to go from one end at Loutraki to the other at Skopelos Town..other than 'glimpses', best way again IMO, is to just rent a car for the day in Skopelos..or plan for an overnight;-) If only interested in the highlight..Aghios Yiannis Church, SL1 covered it;-) Quick 15 min ferry ride over to Glossa docking at the fishing village of Loutraki..and cab from there to Church and back! Happy planning..and ENjOY!

Edited: 07 April 2012, 18:22
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamma Mia island

Skiathoslover

Can I just clarify something please:

Do you mean the boat trip from Skiathos to Skopelos costs 30 euro (60 for 2 pax) then to get to the church a taxi will cost around 20 - 30 euro, making a total cost of 80 - 90 euro?

Thanks

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamma Mia island

A day trip on a tourist boat will cost around €30 per person

Express Skiathos costs €12 return - per person, then the taxi fare on top €20-€30 for the return trip to Glossa

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamma Mia island

Thanks, Skiathoslover.

Do you know how long the 'day trips' are?

e.g. depart Skiathos 9:30, depart Skopelos 16:00?

Do these day trips visit any other island(s)?

Re the ferries:

I've read that there are 2 stops - Skopelos Town and Glossa, so I'm guessing that for the church, I'd want to get off at Glossa.

How far is it between Glossa & Skopelos town and is there public transport?

Thanks again.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamma Mia island

Prettypollycat

Maps: Road Editions 218

Skymaps, free from airports, on ferries, travel agents, hotels etc.

www.skymap.gr/?ElementId=59080&Category=0

Ferry timetables list Glossa, however the port is Loutraki, Glossa is the village above. Total road distance to Ag. Ioannis via Glossa is 3½ miles, up and down hill.

You might get a bus from Loutraki by the ferry quay to one stop beyond the Glossa stop, shortens walk by 1½ mi, times listed on the stop.

Return hydrofoil/catamaran cost to Glossa(Loutraki) is currently 20 € for 1 person return, 12 € if a conventional ferry is available.

http://www.gtp.gr/

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/

I know absolutely nothing about excursion boats or their costs/timings.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamma Mia island

..the bus that does the run from Loutraki to Skopelos Town and vv takes about an hour! I believe the Mama Mia exursion goes only to Skopelos for the day.. there are exursions that go to both Skopelos and Alonissos as well;-) Enjoyin'!

Edited: 08 April 2012, 17:49
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mamma Mia island

I remember 2 years ago seeing the tour boat in Panormos bay for lunch and hearing the music from the beach. It looked like everyone was having a really good time and the tavernas on the beach are all very good.

Karen

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mamma Mia island

Hi Prettypollycat

Mamma mia is just to Skopelos, 10am back around 5 - 5.30. Its the most popular trip with tourists and for good reason.

Going independent, you would take the ferry over to Glossa at 11.45am, and take the late afternoon ferry back depending on day and timetable from Skopelos town.

You have to watch your timings, as you take the bus back to Skopelos town from Glossa, but its a great ride.