We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach vendor bother

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Beach vendor bother

Are there many lookie pep and massge touts, got bothered every couple of mins last year.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach vendor bother

you get the odd massage person, but the're no bother ,say no and they go!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach vendor bother

Ask them for their official permit to work, they will not be back ...

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach vendor bother

Try out the massage,i did down at koukounaries,knocked her down to 10 euros for a full body massage,really sorted out the flight aches and pains.

Well worth it.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach vendor bother

Hiya

My Husband had a full body massage last year on Kolios beach, he`s a builder & suffers low back pain & shoulder pain & said it really helped & felt great. They do keep pestering you though, just keep saying no. Quite a few selling watches & CD`s last year

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach vendor bother

One or two but never bothered just say no and they just walk on by.

Lyn

Edited: 01 July 2012, 19:33
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach vendor bother

They are all there in force this year but if you just ignore them they move on, although some days they seemed to be round every few minutes which is a real pain. We were offered massages, handbags, clothing, watches, jewellery and henna tattoos over the last two weeks.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach vendor bother

Have a little sympathy ,the're only trying to earn a bit of money!!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach vendor bother

No sympathy - They are illegal traders, and should not be tolerated.

Plenty of people have tried to get official licences to operate beach massage services etc and have been denied.

These guys are economic migrants, sent over from Volos, and are being exploited by someone - stop that trade and you are doing everyone a big favour.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 18:06
Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach vendor bother

Yes, well said SL. They were a complete pain in the backside last week when I was there. Every 10 minutes someone was shoving something in your face. Don't entertain them at all, buy your stuff from registered traders on Skiathos.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,994 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach vendor bother

We didn't have much hassle on Agia Paraskevi beach but that was early June - just the odd masseur(?) who seemed to take 'no' as 'no'.

Re having a massage: I suffer from intermittent back & neck problems and I would never let anyome who wasn't qualified give me a massage.

If a complete stranger came up to you in your local town and said, lie down on this bench, I'll give you a massage and then you can pay me - would you say 'yes'?

Someone we know had a massage on the beach in the Far East and it caused long-term damage.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos