We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meze

Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Meze

First time to Skiathos in a few weeks.

Which restaurants would you recommend for Meze?

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meze

Kabourelias - Fish

Batis or Stamatis - Whats in the Kitchen

Mouria - Something different

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meze

Skiathos town - Amfiliki great view great staff just great - but I advise you to book

Lyn

wigan
Level Contributor
827 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meze

Hi Dave. Loads of brilliant retaurants and as Lyn says, Amfiliki has views to die for, but many of them don,t have "meze" on the menu. We tend to order 4 or 5 starters and ask them to bring them all at once. Yuo.ll probably find a taverna that you,ll fall in love with and keep going back there as loads of Skiathos visitors do.

Have a great time.

Tim

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meze

Hi

We ate at Taverna Selini last night, they had hot and cold meze choices and also did a hot meze selection for 2 for 12.50 €. We didn't have it but the couple on the next table did and it looked good. The food we did have was excellent as were the staff and the views were terrific. It did get quite busy later on so you may have to book a table, especially if you want the best views.

Have a great holiday.

5. Re: Meze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 02:40
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meze

Sorry Kevin T I was just reporting what it said on the menu when we ate there, and it clearly stated hot meze for 2 and when it arrived it was selection of small dishes to share. Looked lovely what ever you want to call it!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meze

They can call it what they like, it does not sound like the meze I am used too :)

Edited: 24 August 2012, 19:19
WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meze

SL - Just curious - obviously not a selection of starters - but what exactly constitutes meze?? The authentic variety.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meze

The local is a tsiporaki ...

Usually you order a drink (Tsipouro or Ouzo) for everyone at the table and it comes with a small plate of food per person - Cost €3 - €3.50 per person

Each plate could be

Grilled octopus

Small fishes

Sardines

Cuttlefish

Gavros in oil

Anchovies (Cured)

Calamari

Hot smoked Mackerel

Grilled fish

Fish Stifado

Tuna dip

Spicy cheese dip

Taromosalata

Fried or Grilled cheeses

Village sausage

Stuffed Red Peppers

Potatoes Baked

Potatoes mashed

Horta

Olives

... and it goes on

With Tsipouro you should always get a fish dish, if someone gives you just vegetable dishes - Go somewhere else

Usually as you stay longer, the meze quality gets better and is never repeated.

I think Batis takes some beating, but if you go to Volos, they try to kill you with the food, and its not uncommon to be given a red mullet platter if they think you are up to it. Three drinks = four plates, returning guests get two dishes each per drink and sometimes its as high as five plates!

When i was last in Volos, i went to a place i have been two before, i sat down, two small bottles of tsipouro arrived, large bottle water, pot of ice, bowl of bread, then five meze plates, I ordered another tsipouro,(their generosity - felt guilty) they sent over a plate of medium sized grilled fish. I called for the bill, an Icecream arrived and the bill was €10.50 !

Overall, you eat, drink and enjoy a great time, and if you ordered it via the menu individually, it would cost a fortune.

Edited: 24 August 2012, 20:11
WREXHAM
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meze

Wow, sounds not only delicious, but such a bargain - definitely on my list to try next year.