We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson hand luggage

Cheshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thomson hand luggage

Just wondering if anyone knew how strict Thomson are with hand luggage size??

I'm taking my wedding dress over to Skiathos and it damn well isn't going in the hold!

I bought a hand luggage size case for travelling to Spain with Jet2 and then realised they have a slight larger allowance.

I've spoken to Thomson numerous times who simply state the dimensions to me....helpful.

I called them again one last time, explained the situation and was told that as long as it fits in the overhead lockers, it won't matter if its a little bit bigger.

Brill, however she's in a call centre and is not going to be the one at check in dealing with me when I have a tantrum.

My case is within the limits height and width wise but its about 25cm deep rather than 20cm.

It's not a hard case so I'm hoping ill be able to squish it into one of those boxes if needs be but just wondered if anyone has had any experience with how strict they are???

Thanks looooaaaads

Jenn

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Jen, you might want to post this query at www.iqeal.com/skiathos as well. There is a dedicated wedding section there so you may get more responses there from people who have already faced your problem.

Bob

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Jen, this is a bit tricky. If they wanted to get fussy over 5cm they will do, it happens all the time on scheduled flights and it seems that charter flights are being brought into line.

Have you seen the boxes made specifically for carrying wedding dresses? Would you not contact a supervisor in Thomsons pre-flight customer care and have a word about taking one of these through, if they agree then ask them to confirm in writing so that you have some proof to show at check in, insist on speaking to a supervisor by the way.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Here you go Jen, try this. Also ebay sell wedding dress bags which might fit the bill.

dressinabox.co.uk/DressInABoxAirlineCabinAll…

Wigan
Level Contributor
381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Hi

We went to Skiathos with Thomsons earlier this year from Manchester. We checked in the night before and dumped out suitcases and at the time the man on check in warned us that Thomsons were clamping down on hand luggage. He didn't mention size but weight. He said everyone is allowed 1 item so if ladies have a bag and a hand bag then that counts as 2 but more importantly if it's over 5KG it will have to go in the hold and you'll have to pay excess baggage.

It panicked us a little bit because since you can no longer put toileries in your hand luggage we've been taking small hand luggage size cases and putting clothes in there instead which has always worked for us but when we got back home and weighed them, they were both around 7KG. We then rushed around including a midnighg trip to Tesco to buy a couple of lightweight holdalls and repacked our hand luggage and they were just over 5KG.

Still sightly nervously we went to the airport early the morning after and no-one batted an eyelid. No-one seemed to look at our hand luggage (we were already checked in so didn't go back to the desks) and were never asked to weigh them.

I'm not saying this will happen for you, it was just our experience however maybe if you can check in and take your luggage the night before if you live close enough it might be worth it. You'll only have your cases with you when you actually check in and then no-one from Thomsons will see your hand luggage the day after until your are boarding the plane.

I'd still try and keep the weight down though as much as possible though if it were me.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Hi, the boxes that are for dresses are 20cm depth which is fine with Thomson but just that little bit too small for my dress, I need that few extra cms! :-/

I've asked about dress bags but even those have to be squished so that they fit into their dimensions!

I think I might check in the night before actually, that's a good idea.

I'll ring them again and just see if I can get a more definite answer but it'll be the 5th time of ringing so I doubt I'll get anything different lol

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson hand luggage

As ever, sound advice from Mrs W. Get it in writing or an email, then you are covered. I flew out last week and there was someone carrying a large cardboard box on board, and they didn't weigh or check sizes of any hand luggage, but they may have a purge to generate revenue at any time if they see fit!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson hand luggage

I think you will be lucky to get them to budge from their stated dimensions. I think your options are going to be a 20cm box, a squishy bag or take pot luck with a bag outside of their specifications but don't be surprised if you are challenged. Usually though they are more concerned with not exceeding the 5kg hand luggage allowance so you may be lucky and get away with the slightly larger bag.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Knowing my luck it'll be over the weight limit too lol

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Hi IckleJenn,

First of all congratulations!

just done a bit of googling and found this:

thomson.co.uk/blog/….UdbcEzvqlrM

If you scroll down there is a question and answer section the topmost question at the moment from 'claire' is asking exactly the same as you are. I'll copy and paste it here anyway:

"Dear Thomson,

We are flying out to Corfu with you in August to get married. Even though we have not booked our wedding through Thomson, we are still flying/staying with you. I have read about the boxes for flight but my bridal house told me at my fitting on Friday that my gown will not fit into a 5kg box. Can I just bring it on board in the suit carrier it is in????!!! Starting to panic slightly!

Lisa-Marie @Thomson says:03/07/2013 at 00:51

Hi Claire,

The dress will need to meet the hand luggage requirements to take it on the plane.

This is a max weight of 5kg and a box no bigger than 55x40x20cm."

Sounds like they won't budge much at all I'm afraid. Seems like if you book your whole wedding package through Thomson they provide you with a special box for you to use - bit unfair methinks. Sorry it's not better news.

But whatever happens I hope you have a fantastic wedding - you'll have to post some pics for us when you get back ;-)

Ana

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson hand luggage

Thomson used to be a good airline, but Monarch, Easyjet and Jet2 are much better these days. Thomson call centre is a joke and the local Thomson wanted £300 more for next years trip than I paid booking it online. They are just after your money these days! Good luck with the wedding.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos