We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single traveller

Level Contributor
715 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Single traveller

I desperately want to go to skiathos but as a single lady of 49 I'm a bit nervous. I have done hols with singles companies but the only one to skiathos charges £1750 for 2 weeks at the hotel esperides which to me is extortionate! I'm not a shy person and know I'd be fine during the day but firstly is it a safe island and secondly would I stand out like a sore thumb on my own in a taverna on my own? Thanks for any advice. Julie

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single traveller

Hi Julie

You have no need to worry. Skiathos is definitely safe and for standing out like a sore thumb the answer is no. We have seen many single people on their own during our visits and the people of Skiathos are very friendly as, of course, are 99.9% of the people who visit. You must go and experience the island for yourself.

Bolton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
125 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single traveller

Skiathos is a great place to go for the single traveller and please feel safe about going. There will be many other singles around, and eating in tavernas as a 1 person party is no problem. Not sure when you are planning on going but Thomson have 1 single room available at the Esperides for 2 weeks in July, flying out of 'London' for c £1200.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single traveller

I agree with everything greeky08 has said. I've seen endless singles there and it is perfectly safe, a friend of mine went alone two or three times a year for several years.

What I wouldn't do is pay £1750 for two weeks, that is daylight robbery. You would be better to book with a standard tour operator and pay the single supplement even though I personally think it is grossly unfair that a single traveller has to pay more regardless of all the 'reasons' that are given, but that is another story :)

I'm sure you will feel perfectly comfortable in Skiathos. One thing to remember though, depending on the accommodation you chose some may be along unlit tracks which would require a torch for late night returns.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Bolton, Lancashire
Level Contributor
125 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single traveller

Simplyjules, if you do find somewhere and need opinions on location, tavernas and beaches nearby etc then you know you'll get good advice here.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single traveller

Patch66 is spot on, there are a lot of good people on here who would be happy to share information.

Level Contributor
715 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single traveller

Many thanks for all your speedy replies, I feel much better about it now. I've been watching this forum for a while now and everyone seems to be of the same opinion about how wonderful skiathos is. I'll be going first 2 weeks in sept from Manchester but Thomson show no availability for single rooms so I'm looking at Olympic but there appears to be a few concerns about them. I'll check what is available and may ask more questions re locations etc. Once again thanks for all your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Single traveller

Olympic have been using Germania aircraft for their flights out of Manchester this season and so far with excellent results, it is Olympic/Birmingham that you need to avoid. You could also try Monarch/Cosmos website, flying Monarch aircraft out of Manchester.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single traveller

Hi Julie

I agree with Mrs. W and Patch66's advice. It's an awful lot of money for a single traveller to have to fork out. I would certainly try and find something a lot less pricey and in good walking distance. We fly out from Manchester on the 28 August for a week staying at the Stellina so if you arrive before the 4 September we may see you. Hope you find something suitable otherwise you will be missing out on seeing what Skiathos has got to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single traveller

Yes, as far as I know the 0805 Germania flight on Fridays from Manchester has always been on time or within a few minutes. I travelled (alone) on the first flight out in May, and in the accommodation I was staying in there were just 4 of us that week - all solo travellers!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single traveller

Just get a flight and sort out accommodation on arrival. If you need help let me know, I have contact details for a number of places and the keys for a maisonette.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos