We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May v September ?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
May v September ?

We enjoy visiting Skiathos usually last week in May, first week in June. The temperatures are just right, the buses aren't packed. There aren't any beach parties, plenty of available sunbeds, club strip is rebuilding for the season ahead. Plenty going on in town though, all bars/tavernas open.

I was wondering, never having been in September, how it would compare to May?

Wigan
Level Contributor
381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May v September ?

I've been both and am about to return in mid September...but my preference of the 2 is May (I was also there in May this year and have already booked for next May).

The light is better in May, the days aremuch longer and there are no wasps :)

September though has lovely sunsets and of course a nice warm sea.

Depends on personal preference.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May v September ?

I would say September. Only been in May once and the weather wasn't great. Will be there in 5 days time!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May v September ?

Mmm interesting, I am now reminded about the time we once went to Corfu in September and were plagued by wasps. The locals had half-filled water bottles with orange juice. They made small tunnel like entries in the side, the wasps could get in but not out. All the tavernas had these contraptions hanging up, full of orange juice and dead wasps, not a pretty sight...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May v September ?

Those happen to be my 2 fave months .. only real difference I find is in the water temp.. still on the cool side in May although doable.. by Sept., the seas are fabulous for swimming after being sun-kissed all Summer long;-) Both months can get a bit rain.. some cloudy days.. cooler evenings, but for the most part, given the choice, I always opt for Sept:-) Best.. and enjoy all!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May v September ?

.......and then there's the bougainvillea in flower, makes May look pretty.

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May v September ?

As already mentioned there are advantages and disadvantages depending on what you like.

We love both its lovely to be able to spend more hours in the sunshine in May/June but the sea is like a warm bath in September and there are fruit and figs on the trees for free.

Both months are really nice as not too busy and everything still open.

Why not have a week in both months then you will still have something to look forward to at the end of the year as well as the beginning.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May v September ?

Excellent idea Sue W

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May v September ?

The thing about May is everything is fresh, places are opening up, there is a buzz about, there are flowers everywhere, and the days are long. The only downside is the sea temp!

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May v September ?

My two favourite months but May has the edge .... summer is arriving not leaving

10. Re: May v September ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos