We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, town or beach

Kingsteignton...
Level Contributor
90 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay, town or beach

Hi

Would it be better to stay in Skiathos town and travel each day to the beaches or stay out near koukounairies and visit the town for the day .

Need to visit once and a while, cant sit on a beach all day.

Appreciate your opinions.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

I think you'll find opinion divided on this one.

Many people will recommend out of town accommodation especially Troulos which is favoured by many.

My personal preference, having tried both, is to stay in town. After a tiring(!) day on the beach I like to return to town, coffee and cake at the top of Papadiamanti St, after walking down from bus stop 4, then a rest and shower. Then when going out everything is around the corner and no problem getting home.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

Same here, but we stay at the other end of town on the road in from the airport. It's a walk in and out if town but we find it ok, we get the water taxi from town to Kanapitsa beach and for a few days we hire a car and travel around the island. It's everyone's personal choice. Never stayed at Koukounaries but we felt not much going on. Troulos is a well liked place or maybe Megali Ammos and you will get advice on what both offer. Good luck in your search and enjoy your holiday

essex
Level Contributor
665 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

town easy go kouk for days out if you fancy

bologna
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

neither in town nor outside!!!!

best way absolutely not boring to visit sporades, being every day in a different location, choosing if crowded place or lonely bay, visiting places hiring a scooter...is charter a boat.

prices are quite similar to flats or a little bit expensive but you can go everywhere and everywhere you're at home.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 12:56
Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

I'm very much a Troulos person. I find town too busy in late June, early July when I go.

Of course it's each to their own, but I do prefer the peace, quiet and rural aspect of Troulos. It's relatively easy to jump on a bus or hail a taxi to get to town to see the nightlife, then return to the pool bar for a nightcap.

In your post you mentioned visiting town in the day, a good option if you want to explore the small streets, but the ambience of town is much better when it goes dark.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

Hi I would say it depends on the time of year you are planning to go. Getting from one end of the island to the other is very easy but in the height of summer the buses are a nightmare! We use to stay in Koukounaries as we could walk to our favourite beaches and then at night catch the bus into town but it was pot luck if you got on the bus unless you went in after 8.30ish. So now we stay near town and catch the bus to the beaches and we don't have to worry about the evening buses.

Kingsteignton...
Level Contributor
90 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

We have to go in late August.

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

We like to stay out of town as we prefer a quieter nightlife and being able to walk to the beach.

We do tend to travel into town most days though as we love it during the day for frappes and people watching. We tend to go in the mornings to the old harbour and of course an hour or so on the Bourtzi boat/plane watching - returning to the beach in the afternoon. It all depends what you want from a holiday.

Either way the bus is so convenient.

halifax
Level Contributor
878 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

We love Koukanaries but go either early June or September so no fighting to get on the bus and so convenient but if you have to go late August I would imgine it could be quite busy.

Normally we would go into town quite early 6 or 7 ish to eat and have a few drinks and then back to koukanaries for a night cap or 2 that way we are near enough to fall into bed.

Enjoy

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay, town or beach

As kevandpat says, opinion will be split on this and there are many fans for both options. Having done both, I prefer to stay out of town though not too far away. We normally stay at Achladies beach which is not too far out of town and some evenings we will stay there to eat or go to other beach areas . Other evenings we will catch the boat into town and then get a taxi back.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos