We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers - which resort?

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
First timers - which resort?

Apologies all as I am sure over the years this has been frequently asked!

We are mid thirties - oh blimey no I'm not!! amend that to late thirties and early forties.

We are looking for a resort that has a beach close by but we will hire a car so getting out and about is no issue.

Evenings - some good nightlife. We are not interested in clubs but nice bars with a good atmosphere. We like a relaxed atmosphere - not the sort of place you have to dress up to the nines every night, somewhere you can go out in if you haven't made it back to the apartment post lunch and are still in beach attire!!! I don't 'do' very busy (my days of Ayia Napa and Kavos are LONG behind me). We like all types of food but sampling local treats are a must!

Would Skiathos Town be a good bet or will it be a bit too busy? Any other resort suggestions gratefully received.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers - which resort?

It has indeed been asked many times before. Quite a simple choice of two types of place.

Skiathos town is the only resort of any size. Combining real island town, port, and resort. and consequently has a good range of restaurants/bars in various locations. Whilst it is busy it's not Ag. Napa for sure and I have stayed there.

The resorts are all quite small and modern thus lacking in village/town atmosphere. Beaches are near where ever you stay.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
696 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers - which resort?

Hi squirrel hops

From your post I would say your best bet would be Skiathos Town which has a vast number of tavernas to choose from, the atmosphere and as you say you will be hiring a car then you can get to the beaches. There are a couple of beaches you can get to by water taxi and there us obviously the bus. The nearest beach yo town is Magali Ammos which is approx 10-15 min walk or Xanemos which is at the end of the runway and takes a lot longer.

Sue

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers - which resort?

I think Skiathos Town would be the best choice, I stayed at Troulos last year and felt there was nothing much to do in the day,although i was quite happy to sit by the pool most days. Also i did not think there was a good selection of restaurants to choose from or bars just to have a drink.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers - which resort?

Hi.

Last year was our first visit and we are back in July to Agia Periskevi .

Ticks all the boxes for what you are asking and Platanias beach is great.

You can always hop on the bus to town( they run every15 mins ) about 20 minutes away.

We found loads to do and some of the tavernas are in the top choices for the island.

Go to top of the page & click restaurant box.

Also plenty of good reviews for Troulos ( next to A/P) on the forum.

You will love it wherever you go.

Have a great holiday.

Roy.

5. Re: First timers - which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos