We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea sickness

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sea sickness

Hi

Hi every one on this fantastic forum

My daughter and I are coming out in june (my second visit, her first). we are both keen to do the Skiathos to Skopelos trip but we are poor travellers on water and were wondering which would be our best way to do it. thanks in advance. Denise.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea sickness

I went on the ferry, Skiathos Express, to Skopelos with a friend who suffers with sea sickness and she was fine, to be fair she was dreading it but she was so pleased after completing the trip.

The sea cats are much quicker and quite smooth so you could try them if it bothers you a lot as they cut down the sailing time.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea sickness

Travel sickness pills? Just a thought.

I'm a very poor sailor but after a couple of travel pills I'm fine in fact the rougher the sea the more I enjoy it!

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea sickness

The trick here is to check the restaurant menu on board any ferry just before it sails, as all ferries serve fish & chips. If they are being served with garden peas, you will be fine, but if they are serving mushy peas, it's going to be a rough crossing, as mushy peas can't roll off your plate! :)

I'll get my coat!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea sickness

Hi,

The waters are relatively sheltered in that area so usually not a problem.

Take the larger ferries (Proteus, Apollon Hellas) not the enclosed catamarans/Hydrofoil. You get the fresh air out on the deck then which helps a lot.

The small taxi boats running along the sheltered south coast from Skiathos town to Tzaneria, Koukounaries etc will not be a problem, nor would a boat to Tsougria.

An excursion boat around the north coast of Skiathos to Lalaria + Kastro may be a problem so try to pick a calm day on the largest boat.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea sickness

As RH says chose the large car ferries if possible. You hardly know you are moving - unless it's a really bad weather day - you can get up, walk around, see the views as you come into port. Personally would not chose a passenger- only cat or hydrofoil again. I sat next to a local lady who slowly chomped her way through a large packet of very strongly flavoured crisp type snacks. Both the lady in the seat the other side and myself were a shade of green as we arrived !

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea sickness

Thanks everyone for the replies we did the Cos to Turkey and both felt ill but the one to Kefalonia from Zante I felt fine I am rather hit and miss and my late husband refused to go on any more because he knew how ill I sometimes got, but really want to do this one

Durham
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea sickness

Denny,

I went on the Mamma Mia trip last year, I think it was on the Kalypso, anyway one chap was sea sick and had to lie down on the floor.

He got off at Skopelos Town and after an afternoon in a local taverna got the big ferry back to Skiathos.

Met him a few days later and he said the ferry was a piece of cake.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 14:18
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea sickness

Thanks Gary, I think you have just made up my mind for me, Cant wait to get to Skiathos now, roll on june.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea sickness

Never get plastered or have a late night before travel. Once on the boat, Never lay down, or lower your head it makes things worse. Always stand up and survey the horizon, with fresh air.

Medical option, in UK Boots used to stock a pill called Stugeron. Take one the night before, then every eight hours, it worked for people on yachts, who before were rough as old boots ...

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea sickness

I have been known to feel sick on a pedalo (not kidding). I found the ferry to skopelos fine and we went on a relatively dull windy day. Just stay on deck and enjoy the scenery. The fact that you can see land all the way helped!