We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opportunities?

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Opportunities?

Could any of the ex-pats tell us if there any opportunities for British male, self-contained vocalists to get work over there?

We are thinking of coming over next year for around three or four months. My husband has been singing on a part time basis for some years in pubs and clubs and has a vast variety of material so can suit most audiences. Would be grateful for any advice/contacts as we are coming out in September for a week.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opportunities?

Can he sing any Greek songs?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opportunities?

I might be wrong (and I'm not an ex-pat) but I can't see that this is going to be a viable employment plan for several reasons:

The island is very small.

The bars which are owned and run by ex-pats are also very small so probably wouldn't be able to support employing someone.

I'm not sure there's a call for this type of entertainment in Skiathos, unless as LancasterKebebman says, he can sing Greek songs.

On looking at other forums, I would suggest Sidari in Corfu, some of the larger resorts in Zakynthos and possibly Stalis in Crete as being places worth asking the same question.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but that's my assessment.

EDIT Sorry, I've just seen that you've already been to Skiathos so know the size. Also, if oyu were in Christakis on the day of the Premier League finishing, I was there too!

Edited: 14 June 2014, 12:16
wigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opportunities?

Hi Dawn. Contrary to the above posts, it depends how much work your hub is looking for. There is a real shortage of brit singers in Skiathos during the season. In fact I can think of only one, who has been there years and always looks disinterested to me. Some of the Greek acts I,ve seen are technically very good, but sing the wrong type of songs for a brit audience so Greek language songs would be a no-no. If your other half does, as I suspect, pub classics that would please the punters. Try Christakis bar in Troulos, Agustera in Kouk and various in town. Good luck

Tim

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opportunities?

Certainly the size of Christakis would be suitable, and he does have discos on every now and then I think - when there's no sport! But they'd have to sell lots more drinks to justify employing someone, and I'm not sure Troulos is big enough to pull in enough people interested in that kind of evening. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong...

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opportunities?

TBH if I want cabaret bars, then I go to Benidorm. Personally I go to Greece for somewhere different, and to soak up the ambience of the tavernas of an evening. Then again, I could be wrong! :)

southsea
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opportunities?

The Stamelos Bar and the Mandraki Village Hotel in Koukounaries both had live music in 2013 so you could try them also.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opportunities?

Do the bars/tavernas etc have to have a licence to have live music/entertainment on their premises?

wigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opportunities?

Hi Steve. Christakis has live music on every week. It,s usually outside by the pool and fairly laid back. Not a heavy rock night. A couple of years ago I did a few songs with a borrowed guitar and received some really good comments from the brits. In fact, Chris offered me 2 nights a week. Have given some serious thought to renting our house out and going over to do what Dawns hubby is considering. However, with old parents to consider it,s difficult. Also I play in a band over here and wouldn,t want to give that up.

Mrs W. I think the Greeks are quite strict on music licences as they realise one mans music is another mans noise and there are neighbours to consider.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opportunities?

Thanks for that, I guess because I always go early in the season I don't see that side of things.

So, I stand corrected!!

What's your band called, and do you venture into Manchester or Sale at all?

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opportunities?

Thanks for all your comments, negative or otherwise. Yes, we have been to Zante many times Steve and it is certainly different to Skiathos. Not looking to earn a living doing this, just to test the market and perhaps earn a bit of spending money. We are actually stopping at Chris' place in Troulos in September so will sound him out. I take your point about keeping the 'Benidorm' out of Skiathos, but then again (only my opinion) it depends on the type of music you choose and having the ability to entertain the audience.

Cheers again, and any more responses gratefully received.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos