We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violent storms ...

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Violent storms ...

Affecting the island this afternoon ...

Torrential rain - Thunder and lightning, Its a bad one. There have been power dips, and there will be serious flooding ...

We had one like this a few years ago and it went on for a day or so - we lost power for two days and parts of the island were evacuated ...

Skiathos airport reporting zero visibility, and 40 knots of wind. Reports of flooding in Papadamatis street.

Troulos will not be the place to be right now, based on previous experience ...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Violent storms ...

WOW, just in Skiathos at the mo and just had the mother of all Thunderstorms with hail!! Gone on for about an hour n just when we thought it had gone away its just cracked again!! Never experienced anything like it. I hope everyone is ok, we are staying at Green Park in AP and the family are furiously brushing the rain away from the restaurant. Some wag has just arrived back and asked for a table outside which made us all laugh.! The time at the mo is 17.40.

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Violent storms ...

Thinking of you all, but not with envy this time.

Bob

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Violent storms ...

it's raining in athens too,first time i can remember something like that in june 15th..

climate change?

Lymington, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Violent storms ...

Watched those storms develop on the radar back in UK and they look pretty fierce, back in 1987 on a round the island boat trip we experienced something similar, but it was more localised but damn frightning all the same, especially as the boat was pretty ropey any way, long before 'elf & safety, we just grabbed another Fix and kept baling!!

Good Luck all you Skiathites!

Geoff

Edited: 15 June 2014, 16:07
cheshire england
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Violent storms ...

goodness me surely it must have lessened a bit by now ,,any info??

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Violent storms ...

Hi, yes the storm has passed altho its still raining but no reports yet on any wether there have been real problems as we are still in our room!! It was quite scary really.

Old Colwyn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Violent storms ...

Think that boat you were watching may have been the one we were on...we were on our way back from Skopelos when the storm started. Everyone had to cram downstairs, windscreen wipers broke and captain couldn't see where we were going so had to stop for quite a while! A tad scary...safe indoors and on the wine to recover now!

cheshire england
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Violent storms ...

glad your ok ,what an expieriance,,,,,,,,,,,

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Violent storms ...

Oh dear.... sorry to hear how bad today's storm has been... hope all ok now..

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Violent storms ...

Really sorry to hear about the terrible weather I,m afraid I have a bit of a phobia about storms and would have been really frightened wherever I was and the thought of being out at sea in a boat must have been really scary.

Just pray everyone is safe and that the storms have now passed for you all and that you will be out enjoying the sunshine again tomorrow with no lasting effects.

Sue